• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.....tell me about Raleigh.

shinner

Thinking of applying for a position there with the company that laid me off back in April. I have about 3 more months on worker's comp and then it's desperation time. As much as I despise the company for laying me off under the guise of "poor economy" (the guys in my area have worked steady OT since my throat was cut...obviously there wasn't enough work to keep me employed), it is the field I've worked in my whole adult life and the one I'm most qualified for. So, I have to swallow whatever ill feelings I have for them and hope they'll bring me back.

No positions in my current area and the next closest is Arlington, VA. I won't work based out of there as it's a clusterphuk of humanity rivaling the population density of China. Not to mention an outrageous cost of living.

But back to Raleigh...I've only been there a couple times when I've had service calls to IBM in RTP, so I've not seen much of the area. Supposing this happens...how's living in that end of the triangle. Bear in mind that I would be working all over that area of NC (and down into Charlotte as well on occasion I believe) so I wouldn't have to live in Raleigh-proper...I could place myself between there and Charlotte or on any other suburb of the town. I know enough to stay away from Durham based on a thread I made a year or two ago when I came down to help with a big installation at SunTrust.

They have an airport, and the morning and evening traffic sucks donkey balls. When kids have to kid up at 5 in the morning to get to school by 8....well you get the picture. I'm sure that's most cities though.

Not a bad place, I would find somewhere on the outskirts though....but that's just me. If you are looking at buying, Cary has the most over inflated prices of anywhere around for property.

If you decide to do it, let me know. I have a friend that has a couple of empty houses that you could probably rent to start off with, and reasonable.

I don't do suburbs but that's where the suburbanites go....and the Yankees.

I'm more of a small town person....the town I live in now has a population of about 15,000 (and sometimes that's too many people for me). From what I can tell, Cary is over 100K so I'd sooner look for more of a suburb. Hell, a 90 minute drive from Raleigh would be fine with me.

Raleigh is a mess IMO. Unbelievably spread out and boring.

Boring is good...I don't need the nightlife, I don't like to boogie.

Not a bad place, I would find somewhere on the outskirts though....but that's just me.

absolutely...if the town has a Best Buy, it's probably too big for my liking. I like to drive to those types of towns, get what I need, and get out.

If you decide to do it, let me know. I have a friend that has a couple of empty houses that you could probably rent to start off with, and reasonable.

Will do...right now, if asked me to give a percentage of likelihood that this will happen, I'd have to use a decimal point. It's nothing more than speculation by me right now...I have no idea if the company would even take me back. My feeling is that they dumped me because I got hit by the drunk and now see me as damaged goods.

and now see me as damaged goods.

We can rebuild you....we have the technology....come to the South. We'll make you stronger than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.

In da SOUTH baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

Archived