• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Advice from Charlotte locals

ericr0319

10 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

whoa, whoa, whoa. no reason to fight guys. Yeah..Tampa has its patches for sure and cannot stand the fans. Although I love the Lightning. Yeah, I was looking at Uptown but its spare for this weekend. The damn Giants/New Yorkers jack up the prices. Was going with another couple who areGiants fans, but they bailed after our flights were booked, or I would have picked another game. Tampa has tons of breweries so we like those, relaxed bars (not dives or club scene), and our food preferences are pretty open-minded (prefer not chains and local chef inspirations). How is the area North of Brookhill, around 160 and 49, but south of 277? Idk if that makes sense but on the map it's plotted almost like a square/triangle baseball field dimension. A lot of nice Air BnB there and they say you can take a train in to Uptown? How is the public transportation there? 

That is south end. Great area for you guys. Really everything from Uptown to South End is in walking distance. 

There will be a bunch of breweries in that area. As mentioned above you have Wooden Robot which is a pretty good brewery and then a slew of others. You have a list of restaurants in that area as well.

• Bardo (Amazing upscale spot)
  • Suffolk Punch (above average food)
  • Futo Buta (Amazing ramen)
  • Ok'u (great sushi)
  • Luna's Living Kitchen (vegan)
  • Zeppelin (small plates that are worth it)
  • Bang Bang Burgers (best burgers in charlotte)

You always have a good list of bars:

• South End station (4 bars in on strip)
  • Gin Mill
  • Seoul K-BBQ (its a restaurant but the food is meh, better bar than food)
  • Brickyard

All of those are within 5-10 walking distance. Also, we have ride share electric scooters.

Uptown will be about 11-15 minute walk from there, if you want a list of restaurants and bars for that let me know. I eat out every night (thanks to my job) and I can provide you any info you need on these places.

What Casillas said. We live in a suburb adjacent to South End and it takes us about 20-30 mins to walk to the game from our front door to the stadium turnstiles. Anything in the area you mentioned should be around the same distance or closer. Along the way you pass about 6-8 breweries, tons of restaurants and bars and you get dumped out right in the middle of a bunch of Panthers tailgaters to walk into the stadium with. I wouldn't take the light rail, I'd recommend walking. The trains get packed with people, they're slow and they make a lot of stops. Walk the large sidewalk that runs along it, the 'Rail Trail' and you'll be able to stop in at bars, grab food and commiserate with other fans. 

25 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

Stay in providence, Matthew's or something out side of the city.  Wake up at the ass crack of dawn and just uber 15 min to uptown.  When your done uber back.  Maybe the hotel stay will be cheaper that way.

With the uber surge prices on game day - i think they would come out even if they did an AirBnB in south end. Plus sitting in that traffic would be awful.

Just my two cents.

I was born in Charlotte, I've lived here over 40 years. Trust me, if you can avoid staying in the suburbs and can get an AirBnB in South End, do it. There is nothing wrong with the suburbs, but if you're here for a long weekend, you're wasting your time commuting back and forth. 

Just a couple more quick tips:

1. Avoid light rail on game days

2.Stay within walking distance, don't use your car for anything (parking is privately owned here and is awful)

3. Look up restaurants on open table and check reservations to decide when you want to go in. Don't need to get a reservation, but you can tell if the restaurant will be busy - to reduce your wait.

4. Friday/Saturday night if you find a bar you like, stay there. The wait to get in bars in South End and Uptown is obnoxious and unnecessary. 

5. Brunch is only on Sundays here. Most restaurants won't serve their "brunch items" on Saturday.

6. Stay away from Epicenter - it is bad right now. It's going through an identity change and its constantly filled with homeless and pan handlers. (I live by it and have to walk through it regularly on the weekends)

7. Try to avoid bouncing around from one borough to another, just stay in one and enjoy the poo out of it.

8. DO NOT uber on game day, unless you absolutely have to.

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

With the uber surge prices on game day - i think they would come out even if they did an AirBnB in south end. Plus sitting in that traffic would be awful.

Just my two cents.

Could be.  The morning route would be fine to let's say south end.  Walk over to the stadium leave walk to another place, eat supper let it die down and uber back.  All depends on prices.  The evening uber would be the one that got you.  It's just another option.

22 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

so its southend, uptown or noda district. 

South end and Uptown are walking distance to the stadium.  Noda def not.

Either way your going to want to move to charlotte when you leave.  Small town feel (for a metro area)  in a big city is pretty cool.

Definitely checkout Noda and Plaza Midwood. I don't go to Uptown too often as it's kind of a pain in the ass to park over there. It's a great to walk through and checkout during the day though. Depending on how long you are staying and your budget you could probably AirBnb a place on Lake Norman for a night too. A friend of mine's parents are doing that and renting jet ski's soon.

University has a neat little boardwalk area that you can check out. The Wine Vault is a great date night spot.

Archived