• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All the pieces are lining up for a Peppers trade to New England

Fiz

OK, if I understand NFL rules properly, Pep's contract is fully guaranteed and so that $17 mil would have to fit under a potential trade partner's cap.

Look at approx. cap figures here.

Only 2 teams have the cap room for pep, right? Tampa and Green Bay.

This is what makes me think it's impossible.

Good find. And no, he can't be restructured or extended per the franchise rules.

I believe that all changes if Pepp is willing to renegotiate his contract with the new team for a long term deal. The same thing we've done with him in the past to ease cap problems.

the deadline to renegotiate a contract for a franchised player passed...months ago.

this has been discussed ad nauseam

after cutting TBC, the Patriots have further cut Joey Galloway and TE Micheal Matthews

that's three roster spots, and they'll only fill two by bringing in Brandon Tate or T Levoir.

SSSSOOOMMMEEETTTTHHHHIIINNNNNNGGGGSSSS HAPPPPENNNIIIINNNNGGGGG

They also cut some other linebacker named Eric Andrews.

Patriots' moves spark speculation

Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 11:58 AM ET

So the New England Patriots have cut four players in less than 24 hours.

The moves have sparked all sorts of speculation.

The release of Tully Banta-Cain, Joey Galloway, Eric Alexander, and Michael Matthews opens up $2.87 million in nonprorated 2009 salary cap space, which in theory allows the Patriots to absorb a player with a full-season base salary of $2.87 million. (Because all players were signed through 2009 only, there's no cap acceleration arising from cutting them.)

Some are speculating that the Patriots are making a play for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

Coincidentally, his full-season base salary for 2009 is $2.972 million.

Just saw that. Speculation on Merriman or Steven Jackson, both of which could make some sense for them. Belief is that they'll trade away Adalius Thomas as part of the deal.

Have to admit I'd laugh if they made all these moves only to see the trade fall through and Banta-Cain sign with the Browns :lol:

I just don't see us trading Peppers right now, especially to a team that we are slated to play.

And salary cap things can be adjusted and tinkered with to make room for a big dollar contract in situations like this. But I still don't think we want to release Pep and I'm not sure anyone is really looking to pick him up.

Besides, Belichek likes players that can be motivated... Pep is notoriously tough to motivate.

I see the pats going after aaron kampman. He is a motor guy who plays his ass off and can get got for a 2nd or 3rd I bet.

Except there's that whole problem that he would be playing out of position in the 3-4, just as he is right now in Green Bay.

Patriots' moves spark speculation

Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 11:58 AM ET

So the New England Patriots have cut four players in less than 24 hours.

The moves have sparked all sorts of speculation.

The release of Tully Banta-Cain, Joey Galloway, Eric Alexander, and Michael Matthews opens up $2.87 million in nonprorated 2009 salary cap space, which in theory allows the Patriots to absorb a player with a full-season base salary of $2.87 million. (Because all players were signed through 2009 only, there's no cap acceleration arising from cutting them.)

Some are speculating that the Patriots are making a play for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

Coincidentally, his full-season base salary for 2009 is $2.972 million.

And people wonder why their good. Always looking to improve. God I hate them but, ya gotta love'em.

Archived