• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need some help from you health warriors

SmokinwithWilly

Recently I decided that it's time for me to change my lifestyle completely. My life is half over and I've played a sloppy first half. I've switched to a protein shake meal replacement in the morning fortified with blueberries, one for lunch fortified with my own homemade super food cubes of blended kale, blueberries, bananas spinach and coconut water. Here's my issue. I am crashing at around 2 to 3 pm. Even snacking during the day, I'm running on empty. I am trying to lose weight so I'm watching my calorie intake. I do a lot of physical activity so I'm thinking I may be running out of fuel, but I don't want to eat calories just for the sake of eating. I'm not really that hungry because of how much water I'm drinking also and how much low calorie food (spinach, broccoli, peas, green beans, etc. ) I'm eating throughout the day. I'm a couple of weeks in, made it through my detox of processed food I think, I just really could use some help from you guys or gals that have been through this. 

Pretty easy issue here. Not enough calories. Yes, to lose weight you need to eat less calories but there are two things to keep in mind. If you’re losing more than 2 pounds a week you’re probably (unless you’re massive) eating too less 200-300 calories less than what you use a day is perfectly fine. Sounds like you’re going balls to the wall and as enthusiastic as you might be, healthy weight loss takes time. 

To my second point, you need carbs, they’re not bad. Same with fat. Eat complex carbs and healthy fats, just protein will make you feel like poo. Get your macronutrients down. This will take time. There is a huge huge huge difference in healthy calories and unhealthy ones. Your body processes them differently.

Everything takes time. Dialing in micro and macro nutrients, losing weight etc. be patient and do not go balls to the wall take it slower.

Your morning and lunch should consist of some complex carbs (oatmeal, beans for instance), if you’re working out. Dinner should be protein and a little healthy fat and maybe a tad of carbs...it just all depends you have to tailor it to your body and workouts and goals which once again takes time.

Portion your meals, eat clean and healthy, excersise consistenley....don’t be afraid of food...once a week eat a little more than you normally wood it will heal keep your metabolism up.

I really didn't try to go balls to the wall. I woke up one morning and looked at all the meds I was taking and said I don't want this any more. Im pre diabetic and over 300 lbs. My doctor told me I would be on them forever and I know that's a crock of poo. I have reaction now just looking at the things I used to eat. I want to hurl. 

Before I was eating 3500 to 4000 calories a day and maintaining an even, although unhealthy weight. I've cut that in half, or less, I'm between 1500 to 1800 a day and I eat non stop it feels like. The biggest thing I have cut out is processed sugar. I've also eliminated dairy except for goat and feta cheese. 

I want to be healthy in this process and not go crazy, but I guess my question is, am I going through withdrawals, and if not how long does it take for my body to adjust to my new diet. 

My goal is next year this time, I want to run a Spartan race and finish it. I'm recovering from a major back injury so I need weight off before I can really shoot for it in a gym.

I appreciate the help and any advice on daily snacks that can help. I don't have access to any type of cooking during the day so it's all lunch box for me.

8/16 

water first thing in the morning/day

wait an hour before coffee/juice

then 7 hours later...eat, whatever, hopefully healthy, no processed food. hfcs... eat for 8 hours to your 1500/2000 calories.

then rest and sleep for 8 hours.

if you can walk a half hour, or more, a day somewhere in there, all should be good.

21 hours ago, Lumps said:

Pretty easy issue here. Not enough calories. Yes, to lose weight you need to eat less calories but there are two things to keep in mind. If you’re losing more than 2 pounds a week you’re probably (unless you’re massive) eating too less 200-300 calories less than what you use a day is perfectly fine. Sounds like you’re going balls to the wall and as enthusiastic as you might be, healthy weight loss takes time. 

To my second point, you need carbs, they’re not bad. Same with fat. Eat complex carbs and healthy fats, just protein will make you feel like poo. Get your macronutrients down. This will take time. There is a huge huge huge difference in healthy calories and unhealthy ones. Your body processes them differently.

Everything takes time. Dialing in micro and macro nutrients, losing weight etc. be patient and do not go balls to the wall take it slower.

Your morning and lunch should consist of some complex carbs (oatmeal, beans for instance), if you’re working out. Dinner should be protein and a little healthy fat and maybe a tad of carbs...it just all depends you have to tailor it to your body and workouts and goals which once again takes time.

Portion your meals, eat clean and healthy, excersise consistenley....don’t be afraid of food...once a week eat a little more than you normally wood it will heal keep your metabolism up.

Good Advice.

Eliminate processed foods/ sugary drinks. What works for me or anyone else might not necessarily work for you, there is going to be some trial and error until you dial things in. What Lumps said “Don’t be afraid of food”, be patient.

Your body was used to having anything it wants anytime it wants so there is definitely going to be a transitional period while you eliminate the junk, and your body gets use to your new lifestyle.

Be patient stay the course, there is no quick fix.

Huzzah for making the decision to change your life, it’s just a matter of time until you achieve your goals.

I'd say you cut too harshly on calories, which is why you're crashing.

Keep processed sugar out entirely, if possible for you. No candy, soda, etc. If you're used to eating 3500, I'd say keep a max of 3000 for a couple weeks. Get used to all that. Once that's sustainable for you, drop your carbs slowly.

Macros should looking something like this for a 3000 calorie diet

300 g protein

115 g fats (healthy fat sources)

190 g carbs

As you lose, adjust your carbs down first by roughly 10 g each week (equates to 40 or so calories) and maybe 3 g less of fats (equates to an additional 27 calories). Once you are maintaining below 300 lbs by at least 10 lbs I would drop protein to about 250 g. This will cut 200 calories. When you do that don't drop fats or carbs for a week or two to see how your weight responds. That 200 calorie dump will feel rough at first. Once you stabilize again, THEN drop carbs.

The big thing with it all is just paying attention. Weigh in on the same day, at the same time every week. For instance, say you wake up Sunday, drink a glass or two of water, and take a crap. After that, you weigh. You keep that exact plan every week for every weigh in. If you are doing that and you aren't seeing the results, again, drop carbs first, wait a week, see how it goes. If no good, then drop fats.

Archived