• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A hopeful observation about the Panthers offense

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

My question to you: based on what you've witnessed since 2011, is Cam's slow drop back and seemingly lackadaisical approach to the mechanics of dropping back his own doing, or was it a part of coaching? We've all seen Cam slow down in his drop, not being ready to fire, mechanically sound, until well after the shorter routes have hit their mark. 

Perhaps this is something Norv, like most of us, saw? Cam should be ready to hit his early marks and then progress throughout. Personally, I believe this was a product of Cam thinking deep strikes rather than efficiency.  

lackadaisical lol

31 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Yeah. Hopefully Norv emphasizes these things. I don't think the previous staff had the balls to push him in certain regards.

Gosh this take is so lazy. They literally benched him for wearing a turtleneck, do you really think they didn't think they could coach him?

5 minutes ago, akillesheel17 said:

Gosh this take is so lazy. They literally benched him for wearing a turtleneck, do you really think they didn't think they could coach him?

Rivera and team rules isn't comparable to Shula/Dorsey and mechanics coaching. Turner and sons have been very clear and vocal on these areas and those observing OTAs and mini camp have noticed the difference.

3 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Rivera and team rules isn't comparable to Shula/Dorsey and mechanics coaching. Turner and sons have been very clear and vocal on these areas and those observing OTAs and mini camp have noticed the difference.

They really haven't. Beat reporters have tried to get them to bite and they've walked back saying that it's really about getting the guys around him to play better. Take this from Norv:
"On what Newton needs to improve:

So I think there's some technique things that we'll zero in on with Cam, and there will be a major emphasis on the details of the route running, the style of routes and do things where we can do as much to help Cam and help him get the ball out quicker. That helps the protection. That helps everybody."

He turns a question about what Cam needs to be better at into a statement about improving everybody else around him. Later in that interview, he's asked about Cam throwing off his back foot and shrugs it off saying it's necessary sometimes. It's clear that he doesn't see the technique issues with Cam that so many living room critics do. "Some technique things we'll zero in on" is something you'd say about any quarterback in the league.

Here's Scott:

"A lot of things go into [completion percentage] – your eyes, your feet and ultimately your decision making. If you can get those three things down in regards to your completion percentage, a lot of times instead of trying to make the high-degree-of-difficulty throw, you can get the ball to the back or tight end...He doesn’t need changing; he just needs to be the best version of Cam Newton.”

Which, first of all, is ridiculously simplistic and also based on the routes that we have tight ends run, kind of oblivious. But second of all, after lip service to eyes/feet, is an explanation that he believes Cam's low career completion percentage is due to too many high-risk throws. Neither coach, then, thinks Cam is suffering mechanically.

As for observers noting the difference, all I've seen is Rodrigue noting that Cam looks healthier this offseason than last and today, David Newton reporting that Rivera thinks Cam's feet look better.

We all know Cam can throw a gorgeous deep ball.  And we're just fans.  I expect that opposing defensive coordinators have figured that out too.  Likewise his running ability.

Now, on the other hand, if what we're hearing is that they want Cam to get the ball out faster it really only makes Cam better and harder to predict.

Right now, do you really as a DC respect a pump fake on a quick route from Cam?  I wouldn't.  He hasn't shown the ability to make that hurt.   If the Turners can give Cam that aspect in his game, it makes Cam just terrifying.  Oh, you bit on the pump?  Now you've got our receivers in single coverage deep.  Don't respect the short quick?  Ok, you've now got players who can turn that 5 yard hitch into 15.

If they truly can get our QB to make quicker decisions we're going to win a lot of games this year.

22 hours ago, PhillyB said:

lackadaisical lol

It's true. I will cut Cam slack on some of his throws that initially seem to go wide, but his slow drop back gets on my nerves at times. His wide throws, oftentimes, can be attributed to a window he is throwing into, which he doesn't get enough credit for avoiding defenders. Watching from end zone cameras you'll see who and what he is trying to avoid. When it comes to his dropback....I just don't see why he takes as long as he does. 

Sound good but will it continue to work when the regular season starts? One of my biggest criticisms of Cam is that he holds the ball too long. Now that we basically have changed the style of WR we have from tall big ranged to fast, big play styled receivers we can actually be successful at throwing short passes and then turning them into decent gains. Add a recieving threat RB in CMC and an always sure thing TE Greg Olsen I see no reason why Cam can’t improve his pass completions percentage to career highs. 

On 6/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, akillesheel17 said:

He turns a question about what Cam needs to be better at into a statement about improving everybody else around him. Later in that interview, he's asked about Cam throwing off his back foot and shrugs it off saying it's necessary sometimes. It's clear that he doesn't see the technique issues with Cam that so many living room critics do.

Or... maybe he isn't interested in throwing his starting QB under the bus during their honeymoon period.

Archived