• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Photos and Observations - Carolina Panthers Minicamp Day 1

Jeremy Igo

Hello there. How are you? I am fine. Here are a few of my random thoughts, observations, and photos after watching minicamp day 1.

At this time last year, fullback Alex Armah was on the sideline for most of minicamp. He rarely saw the field. Today, he took a fair share of reps with the first string and also caught a few balls from Cam Newton. No drops. At this point I think it is safe to say that Norv has plans for this young man considering how many different looks he is getting in the offense.

Carolina-Panthers.jpg

Curtis Samuel is still catching my eye day in and day out. The kid has real football speed. Sure, Damiere is a faster straight line runner, but I think Samuel's type of speed may translate to football better. It isn't track speed, it is field speed. Turning and getting yards quick. Thats what it is all about.

Carolina-Panthers-2.jpg

Trai Turner had a big nastly looking brace on his knee today, but he did participate fully from what I can see. Rivera stated it is mainly a precaution for a sore knee, that appears to be the case.

Carolina-Panthers-4.jpg

Happy Cam, Happy Fam

Carolina-Panthers-3.jpg

Heavy emphasis on the pitch and catch to running backs in drills today.

Carolina-Panthers-5.jpgCarolina-Panthers-6.jpg

The play of the day was a long pass, probably 30 yards, from Cam Newton to Devin Funchess. Funchess was covered really well by Seymour, but was able to make the grab anyways. Gaulden was also there, but could not make the play. He spent some time playing against the 1's today with a mix of 1's and 2's on defense.

Carolina-Panthers-8.jpg

McCaffrey took a few reps with the receivers in drills today and looked right at home. He honestly is as fluid and as good a route runner as anyone on the field.

Carolina-Panthers-10.jpg

Random Observations and Thoughts..

- Bradberry and Serymour were the starting corners for most the day.

- Gaulden actually looked pretty decent today while covering tight ends, including Olsen. That is great to see, considering that was the primary reason why he was drafted.

- I don't know what to thin about Marquis Haynes. They lined him up in a typical 4-3 right end spot today and it did not look great. He gets handled so easily when contact is made. The size difference between himself and the OTs is striking. He looks more like a blitzing backer physically. 

- Seeing CMC and DJ Moore on the field together is great. I think they will compliment each other very well on end arounds and reverses. Who you want to cover? CMC or Moore? Take your pick.

- Corn Elder spent time at nickel and also on the outside. No one is talking about him, but he could push Captain

-

26 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Haven't seen any mentions all day about Torrey Smith or CJ Anderson.  I know not every guy will grab attention every day, but these are two pretty important new pieces of our offense, so eager to hear about them.

Come to think of it I didn't see Torrey today at all.

So Seymour is currently starting? ... For some reason I don't see it sticking, much like Amini at Left Guard.

Although Seymour is more capable than Worley...I just don't see him beating out Cockrell. When Ross eventually gets comfortable with that playbook....the spot is his IMO. 

Tbh, another db flying under the radar is Gunter. It'll probably remain that way until preseason but dude has talent. Idunno how many spots we usually carry but corner should end up being the toughest battle at camp. 

Man, I try not to get ahead of myself.. but if Samuel and Moore both pan out we’re gonna shred teams. They’re both so fast and versatile. With both of them on the field someone is getting open and picking up chunks.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Come to think of it I didn't see Torrey today at all.

There was one clip of all the WRs doing a drill, and I saw him in that. But haven't seen anyone comment on how he looked out there. Vut he's already shown some good chemistry with Cam during OTAs so I'm not too worried.

Archived