• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things I think I think after watching Panthers OTAs

Jeremy Igo

My optimistic view is that the number won't matter much as their will be an effective mix of options to move the ball. I don't play fantasy anymore. If he is a playmaker and producer for years to come the week 1 mix isn't much important. If anything I'm more concerned with FA veterans being significant contributors from the start.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:46 PM, Mazos7 said:

Hope I'm wrong. If there's 1 thing I know about the panties. They have a winning season followed up by a terrible losing season. So another 7-9 season coming up. Go panties

It's what has happened in the past. It's not written in stone. And the "terrible losing season" in '14 resulted in a playoff win in the postseason, so not exactly terrible. And if you keep calling 'em "panties" then expect to be viewed as a troll by a lot of us.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

Here are a few things I think I think after watching OTA's over the past 3 weeks.

- Cam Newton is quietly having a really good offseason. Passes look sharp and on target for the most part. Compared to this time last year when he wasn't even throwing... well... needless to say it makes you appreciate what we have in a franchise QB.

- TE2 is up in the air. I am not sure if Manhertz will have a big role this season. Really hoping Thomas pushes him, it won't take much.

- Alex Armah role is expanded. Norv loves him some fullback and Armah is getting 500% more reps than last season. Today he spend a ton of time with the first string in a traditional blocking fullback role and also had a run.

- I am concerned about the left side of the line. Nay, I am very very concerned about the left side of the line. Its tough to gauge offensive line play in light work, but when a DE can get around the LT consistently without a mitt being put on him... it probably ain't great news. This is the Achilles heal of the team this season.

- Torrey Smith is an excellent veteran presence for this wide receivers group. Excited to have him.

- Jarius Wright catches anything that comes near him. Really like his game. Nothing showy, just gets it done.

- The plays look much the same as years past at this point, which was expected. It is the strategic implementation of the plays that will see the biggest upgrade thanks to Norv.

- Gaulden saw time with the second string D, have not seen him with the first. Still doubt you will see him much this season if at all.

- Donte Jackson isn't talking a lot, which is a good thing. Once the veterans stepped on the field he wasn't nearly as vocal as rookie camp. Smart move. Jackson has seen a fair amount of reps with the first string at right corner.

- DJ Moore looks like a very versatile guy, and the comparisons to Steve Smith look justified at least in his versatility. He does it all, including the smoke and end arounds Smitty was known for. Today he had a really nice TD grab while going to the turf in the end zone. You can really tell why this guy was a first round choice.

This is unacceptable when your elite qb has only had above average LT play for 2 yeara in 2013/2015.

You cant find a stable LT in 7 years? Wow.

1 hour ago, BigSyke said:

Whatever. I guess.

I remember Jordan giving up 2 sack fumbles to Jared Allen in the Minny(2011) game that Panthers should have won.

You mean to the guy who is 11th all-time in sacks and also led the NFL in sacks the year you are referring to?

1 hour ago, BigSyke said:

Whatever. I guess.

I remember Jordan giving up 2 sack fumbles to Jared Allen in the Minny(2011) game that Panthers should have won.

Not on Gross, came from the blitzing LB through the middle.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011103003/2011/REG8/vikings@panthers#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A09000d5d823985a9&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

This one on Gross, made by future HOF DE. His had one that day. Hardly any reason whatsoever to poo poo Jordan Gross.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011103003/2011/REG8/vikings@panthers#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A09000d5d82399452&tab=analyze

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Umm, Mike Remmers got poo’d on by a future HOFer in Von Miller and that didn’t save him from scorn after a solid rest of the season (and 22-2 record as starting RT). Not trying to poo on Gross or say Remmers was great but it’s amazing how “villains” good plays are totally ignored and at the same time “heroes” bad plays are excused.

Giving up a sack doesn't define a career. Not talking heroes and villains, just common sense. Gross was a good tackle. Remmers wasn't/isn't. 

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Giving up a sack doesn't define a career. Not talking heroes and villains, just common sense. Gross was a good tackle. Remmers wasn't/isn't. 

Can't compare RT and LT. Although both are tackle positions, the word is the only thing they have in common.

Now, if you want to say Gross was a better LT than Remmers was/is as a RT, maybe you can draw that line. But c'mon, Gross was a 3-time Pro Bowl tackle.

6 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Can't compare RT and LT. Although both are tackle positions, the word is the only thing they have in common.

Now, if you want to say Gross was a better LT than Remmers was/is as a RT, maybe you can draw that line. But c'mon, Gross was a 3-time Pro Bowl tackle.

Remmers played LT for nearly the entire 2016 season. Though I'm not trying to compare them and I'm not even sure why the other poster brought him up. 

Archived