• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things I think I think after watching Panthers OTAs

Jeremy Igo

Here are a few things I think I think after watching OTA's over the past 3 weeks.

- Cam Newton is quietly having a really good offseason. Passes look sharp and on target for the most part. Compared to this time last year when he wasn't even throwing... well... needless to say it makes you appreciate what we have in a franchise QB.

- TE2 is up in the air. I am not sure if Manhertz will have a big role this season. Really hoping Thomas pushes him, it won't take much.

- Alex Armah role is expanded. Norv loves him some fullback and Armah is getting 500% more reps than last season. Today he spend a ton of time with the first string in a traditional blocking fullback role and also had a run.

- I am concerned about the left side of the line. Nay, I am very very concerned about the left side of the line. Its tough to gauge offensive line play in light work, but when a DE can get around the LT consistently without a mitt being put on him... it probably ain't great news. This is the Achilles heal of the team this season.

- Torrey Smith is an excellent veteran presence for this wide receivers group. Excited to have him.

- Jarius Wright catches anything that comes near him. Really like his game. Nothing showy, just gets it done.

- The plays look much the same as years past at this point, which was expected. It is the strategic implementation of the plays that will see the biggest upgrade thanks to Norv.

- Gaulden saw time with the second string D, have not seen him with the first. Still doubt you will see him much this season if at all.

- Donte Jackson isn't talking a lot, which is a good thing. Once the veterans stepped on the field he wasn't nearly as vocal as rookie camp. Smart move. Jackson has seen a fair amount of reps with the first string at right corner.

- DJ Moore looks like a very versatile guy, and the comparisons to Steve Smith look justified at least in his versatility. He does it all, including the smoke and end arounds Smitty was known for. Today he had a really nice TD grab while going to the turf in the end zone. You can really tell why this guy was a first round choice.

How can you judge blocking when there is no blocking? You have said before that you can't judge a pass rusher now because offensive lineman cannot put a hand on them. So how can you judge the offensive lineman?

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules

• Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.) 

• Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority. 

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

- Alex Armah role is expanded. Norv loves him some fullback and Armah is getting 500% more reps than last season. Today he spend a ton of time with the first string in a traditional blocking fullback role and also had a run.

archer.jpg.6bbd1224e03d7ab41a6d92656548d986.jpg

18 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

How can you judge blocking when there is no blocking? You have said before that you can't judge a pass rusher now because offensive lineman cannot put a hand on them. So how can you judge the offensive lineman?

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules

There is contact. Its tough to judge blocking because there is minimal contact and you don't know if the offensive lineman just isn't being as physical as the other.

But... there is little reason a speed defensive end should go untouched out there. Thats a bad sign.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

There is contact. Its tough to judge blocking because there is minimal contact and you don't know if the offensive lineman just isn't being as physical as the other.

But... there is little reason a speed defensive end should go untouched out there. Thats a bad sign.

So Jeremy is basically talking about the OTs' feet.  (I am guessing, but I am confident that he is referring to his ability to meet the OT at the desired point of contact.)

Don't forget, the propaganda is that Matt is better than ever--feeling good.  Grrr~

I'm definitely not arguing the fact that the left side of the O-line (along w the safeties) are our biggest weaknesses....but judging offensive and defensive linemen in late May/early June isn't going to tell you very much, if anything at all. 

We're all craving that next fix of juicy Panthers news, but almost everything you read this time of year (outside of signing/releasing someone or major injury news) is going to be a fluff piece.  Some better than others, but that's just all there is for the most part right now.  Once TC is here and the pads are poppin'.....that's when some decent genuine analysis can begin to happen.

31 minutes ago, dpm0409 said:

I'm definitely not arguing the fact that the left side of the O-line (along w the safeties) are our biggest weaknesses....but judging offensive and defensive linemen in late May/early June isn't going to tell you very much, if anything at all. 

We're all craving that next fix of juicy Panthers news, but almost everything you read this time of year (outside of signing/releasing someone or major injury news) is going to be a fluff piece.  Some better than others, but that's just all there is for the most part right now.  Once TC is here and the pads are poppin'.....that's when some decent genuine analysis can begin to happen.

All I can do is watch and tell you how things look right now.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here are a few things I think I think after watching OTA's over the past 3 weeks.

- Cam Newton is quietly having a really good offseason. Passes look sharp and on target for the most part. Compared to this time last year when he wasn't even throwing... well... needless to say it makes you appreciate what we have in a franchise QB.

- Torrey Smith is an excellent veteran presence for this wide receivers group. Excited to have him.

- Jarius Wright catches anything that comes near him. Really like his game. Nothing showy, just gets it done.

- DJ Moore looks like a very versatile guy, and the comparisons to Steve Smith look justified at least in his versatility. He does it all, including the smoke and end arounds Smitty was known for. Today he had a really nice TD grab while going to the turf in the end zone. You can really tell why this guy was a first round choice.

How do you see this WR depth chart and pt time shake out 

We dont play a 3 WR sets full time.

And how many WRs do we normally keep active on game days, 4?

Which one of these are you going sit.

Funchess

Moore

Smith

Samuel (who we've heard high things about)

Wright

Bryd

Which one is going to start across Funchess? Moore? Smith?

Which one is your 3rd down slot? Smith? Moore? Samuel? Wright?

I really cant wait to see this competition go down in camp.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

All I can do is watch and tell you how things look right now.

Completely understood.  And it's appreciated! 

Didn't mean to sound as if I'm above reading any Panthers news until TC, b/c that's definitely not the case.....in fact it's why I visit the site everyday, haha, just general opinions on linemen this time of year.

@Jeremy Igo How does Moore look in comparison to Benji and/or Funch did at this same time of their career?

We really, really need Matt Kalil to step it up, especially considering Norwell isn't going to be there to help him out.  

Archived