• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2018 Carolina Panthers roster projection

Jeremy Igo

17 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Seems to be a reasonable list.  I could see a few changes, maybe one more RB, one less CB. 

Also of the receivers not named Funchess they are all fairly short, 6'1" or less.  What are the chances we keep someone like Bug Howard over Byrd?

As a big UNC fan who has never been high on Byrd, I still say slim to none. Bug was a good college WR who catches everything. The problem is that he creates zero separation. None. Even at the college level. I was surprised because he actually tested decently at the combine but that athleticism doesn’t show up on the field in terms of separation from defenders. Pretty much every ball he’s ever caught has been with a DB (or two) draped all over him.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, KB_fan said:

Exactly. That's my point. We're not willing to PS him.

And I don't think we'll carry 3 QBs on the 53.  Too many other young guys to protect. 

Gilbert has no more PS eligibility, so that wasn't ever on the table.

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

None. You aren’t going to keep a guy who’s not as good because he’s tall. Byrd looked good last year when he started and has played well in OTAs from what little we’ve heard. Also, we talked about getting faster. Byrd gets separation, I doubt Howard does. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

As a big UNC fan who has never been high on Byrd, I still say slim to none. Bug was a good college WR who catches everything. The problem is that he creates zero separation. None. Even at the college level. I was surprised because he actually tested decently at the combine but that athleticism doesn’t show up on the field in terms of separation from defenders. Pretty much every ball he’s ever caught has been with a DB (or two) draped all over him.

ok, ok....maybe not Bug....Bersin then

seriously though my comment was less about Bug earning a spot but more so the fact that 5 of the 6 receivers everyone is listing are rather short and similar.

If Funchess goes down who takes his spot?  Who is our possession receiver?  Our jump ball receiver? Just seems like we are a bit similar.  Maybe we just keep 5 because of that.

Olsen has been our primary possession receiver pretty much since he got here.

I’m not a big fan of keeping guys to be backups simply because they fit a similar mold to one of our starters. 

Moore may not be tall but he isn’t small. He’s built stout and he’s 6’. Torrey Smith is 6’1”.

Maybe Panthers fans just have a different perception of WRs and height after the KB/Funchess duo but that duo never really worked because neither was great at creating separation. Honestly, most jumbo WRs aren’t. The Julio Joneses and Calvin Johnsons are few and far between. I’ll take separation over size all day long. That’s why the Pats load up with stereotypical “slot WRs” that are undervalued throughout the league. What those guys do best is simply get open and catch footballs.

10 hours ago, AU-panther said:

seriously though my comment was less about Bug earning a spot but more so the fact that 5 of the 6 receivers everyone is listing are rather short and similar.

If Funchess goes down who takes his spot?  Who is our possession receiver?  Our jump ball receiver? Just seems like we are a bit similar.  Maybe we just keep 5 because of that.

I know little of Bug but if he can show he is worthy than we should be able to put him on the practice squad and if he learns enough.  We could bring him up if, god forbid, Funchess gets hurt.

I do believe that Turner likes the big receiver but we won't bring Bug up if he isn't ready.

We'll see in about 7 weeks.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, KB_fan said:

DG was really on a spending spree last year. It's pretty shocking in hindsight how much he paid for Shepard and Captain.  Matt K too, of course, but that one is at least a little more understandable given the dearth of starting caliber LTs in the league.

Agreed, I've never been a bit Captain fan. Definitely not for that much. 

On 6/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, AU-panther said:

Yeah because Funchess is a jump ball wr. Lmao

Archived