• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2018 Carolina Panthers roster projection

Jeremy Igo

Never understood why anyone would seriously think Smith would be cut. Only guy on the roster who's been a HEALTHY deep threat in the league. Byrd and Samuel haven't shown an ability to remain durable. His roster spot was guaranteed from day one. 

Only question will be year two, if Samuel shows them that he can be healthy and beat team deeps, then sure Smith might be in trouble but until then he's here 

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

DG was really on a spending spree last year. It's pretty shocking in hindsight how much he paid for Shepard and Captain.  Matt K too, of course, but that one is at least a little more understandable given the dearth of starting caliber LTs in the league.

And yet this year he only gives Shep a 1 year $1.3 million deal. That's more befitting a ST ace / god I hope we need him as a WR guy.

About Matt, I just read this in Grill Bill (grain of salt), and really hope that it's true.

"Now, about Kalil: I get he’s a popular punching bag, but folks inside the building are excited about where he’s at right now. Namely, he’s healthy. Yeah, you heard that last year when he was coming off hip surgery. But that’s the point. He spent the majority of last offseason rehabbing. 

I chatted with Kalil for a while on Thursday, and he said the difference in where he’s at a year later is “night and day” since he’s been able to ditch the training room for the weight room. Give him a little longer before eyeing future drafts."

I do think he (and the entire line) played a lot better down the stretch after Ryan returned. I am cautiously optimistic that he and whomever will be able to hold down the left side of the line adequately, if not superbly.

2 hours ago, 1989 said:

I’ve heard Rivera speak highly of Cox & Southward at safety. What have you seen from them? Any chance they surprise and contribute?

That is one area where I might disagree with Igo--I think Cox makes the roster at S and Jones plays STs and the big nickel package Thompson has probably vacated, especially during the first 4 games.

I also expect Thomas to get some action this year.

The last 2 LB spots is an open competition. 

I think Munnerlyn is cut very soon if they liked Corn's OTAs. 

I heard a discussion of former players and Voth stating position battles aren't even a thought until Camp. This is fun but  camp is when that occurs. This is practice for camp. 

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Grill-Bill-Underrated-competition-/a38c7a66-915b-4e6d-b906-ebef80beadd5

Key points: 

It’s silly to put too much weight into how they’re lining up during OTAs,....

Again, we’ve just turned the calendar to June, so there’s a long way to go before questions like these are decided:

A reminder: This time of year is mostly about what guys can retain from the classroom to the field, so I’d just be blowing a whole bunch of smoke if I tried to pretend either is doing much more than going through glorified walkthroughs. 

20 minutes ago, t96 said:

- What do you think Cox’s chances of making the roster are? He was solid and had a lot of PT last year for a UDFA rookie. And Obada too is interesting... could we keep either of them?

Addison, Pepp, and Horton are locks. I think Hall and Haynes beat out Cox, moving him to PS. 6 DE's are a lot to keep on the roster. I do think Cox has a lot of upside, and played well in his limited snaps last season. I'm excited to see him develop.

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

Gilbert has been on the active roster since last October.

Exactly. That's my point. We're not willing to PS him.

And I don't think we'll carry 3 QBs on the 53.  Too many other young guys to protect. 

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

DG was really on a spending spree last year. It's pretty shocking in hindsight how much he paid for Shepard and Captain.  Matt K too, of course, but that one is at least a little more understandable given the dearth of starting caliber LTs in the league.

I don't blame him for spending to try to improve us in 2017 especially given the poor results in 2016. But who he chose to pay and the decisions he made in hindsight were baffling like not bringing in veteran corners in 2016 and rolling with rookies was baffling. He relied on his own scouting too much which in retrospect was not nearly as good as he thought.

I would like to add that keeping six corners could be a bit much.  If there was not enough PT for Capt. last season when we did not have Corn or Jackson, I do not see the seas parting for him now.  The more I think about it, Captain is gone IF Corn is a go.

Jackson can play outside if needed.  Jones and Gaulden and Thompson can play the big nickel or whatever they call it.  Seymour is interesting because he was forced to play inside a time or two last year, but with his speed, he might be a man CB on the outside.  He can really do it all, just nothing great.  Cockrell and Bradberry are outside Zone CBs.

I look for a free agent to be brought in eventually to back up Cam Newton, familiarity with Norv Turner a plus.

Jets may be parting with Teddy Bridgewater in favor of Sam Darnold. That would leave them with Josh McCown but that's not an all-is-lost scenario for them.

Bridgewater would be a natural fit here in Carolina, but given the issues he had with Turner's offense before, I have my doubts he would want to come here. Then again, as a backup, the pressure wouldn't be on him. He could actually take time to digest the offense and understand it this time.

@Jeremy Igo curious about Elijah Hood. Any chance he beats out CAP?

As for this roster overall, I only see two true weaknesses. The same two that Igo pointed out: left guard and safety. But I think we have two coordinators who can plan against those weaknesses, and post-camp cuts may give us some adequate stop-gaps. That offense in particular is near wet dream quality. Cam, CMC, Anderson, Olsen, Moore, Funchess, Smith, Wright, Samuel, Byrd, and maybe an Ian Thomas appearance here and there in Turner's offense?? OO WEE MAYNE.

Very happy with the front 7 on defense two. I think our cornerbacks will rebound this year with a DL-focused DC putting pressure back on the QB with just the front 4. Who knows... with the DL eating again and our LBs back in coverage where they belong, that will shift the pressure off the corners and safeties. They will just need to do an adequate job to have a great year a la 2015.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

That is one area where I might disagree with Igo--I think Cox makes the roster at S and Jones plays STs and the big nickel package Thompson has probably vacated, especially during the first 4 games.

I also expect Thomas to get some action this year.

The last 2 LB spots is an open competition. 

I think Munnerlyn is cut very soon if they liked Corn's OTAs. 

I agree with everything except Munnerlyn we are pretty much stuck with him this year because of dead money. It sucks but we can't cut him.

Archived