• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My first 2018 Carolina Panthers roster projection

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I think the answer to backup QB is on the roster.  If Cam goes down we are screwed anyway, if we are in a good spot we will be looking for a starter in free agency not a backup.

If so it is Gilbert. They others look horrendous.

I was one of those pushing for an upgrade at QB2 during the off-season. But now I've changed my tune.

I think we keep Gilbert. If he shows any promise at all, we won't risk PS for him, and I can't see us carrying 3 QBs.

And I'm good with this. We save precious Cap space and invest in a young guy. (Something we've clamored about for a while.) If God forbid Cam were to go out for the season, we trade for someone. I know that might be difficult and very costly, but I think right now trying to develop a young guy makes sense.

Whether that young guy should be Gilbert, or whether we should have drafted someone else is a different question. Garrett showed some promise last preseason. Hopefully he's improving...

Having Norv around gives me a lot more confidence that we might be able to actually develop some young talent. If we still had Dorsey I think I'd be screaming for a veteran #2.

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

I'm curious about Kenjon Barner.

Wonder if he has a shot to be RB3 ahead of CAP...

Me too. We've had CAP for a few seasons and haven't used him. In fact, Fozzy had more snap counts than CAP last season. If Barner is the new Fozzy (including KR duties), he should have the edge.

Don't see cutting Munnerlyn no matter this year. His dead cap hit is 6,400,000 and his cap hit is right at 4 million. Even as a June 1 cut we won't really save anything. If we cut him it will be next year when his cap hit goes over 5 million and his dead cap space drops to 3 million.

1 hour ago, 1989 said:

I’ve heard Rivera speak highly of Cox & Southward at safety. What have you seen from them? Any chance they surprise and contribute?

He's also spoken highly of Jones. I haven't seen enough of either Cox or Southward to make the call, but Jones is a liability in coverage. His ST play and knowledge of the system might be enough to give him the edge though.

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Don't see cutting Munnerlyn no matter this year. His dead cap hit is 6,400,000 and his cap hit is right at 4 million. Even as a June 1 cut we won't really save anything. If we cut him it will be next year when his cap hit goes over 5 million and his dead cap space drops to 3 million.

DG was really on a spending spree last year. It's pretty shocking in hindsight how much he paid for Shepard and Captain.  Matt K too, of course, but that one is at least a little more understandable given the dearth of starting caliber LTs in the league.

I would be happy with that roster. I would like Obada to make it but I realise the odds are against it. I’m not keen on Amini making it but it wouldn’t surprise me. 

I wonder if any interesting QBs will become available? Apparently the Jets are talking up Bridgewater in OTAs to increase his trade value. I wouldn’t trade for him but I would pick him up as an FA if the cap allowed it.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Love the added photos and agree with most of it. Thanks J. 

Couple things though...

- agreeing with you on QB I think we could see Bridgewater or McCown brought in. Jets won’t keep both.

- I thought Ian Thomas had looked good in practices so far—you really don’t think he’ll contribute in Dickson’s role?

- With TD suspended opening up a roster spot maybe you should take him off for someone else to start the year. Maybe both rookies make it initially and when TD is back we send one to the PS?

- What do you think Cox’s chances of making the roster are? He was solid and had a lot of PT last year for a UDFA rookie. And Obada too is interesting... could we keep either of them?

Archived