• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curtis Samuel might be the breakout player this year

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Cyberjag said:

I know this.  But underlings tend to let their superior's opinions influence their decisions.  In this context, if Gettleman was singing Shula's praises while RR debated replacing him, that probably would have had an effect.  I'm decidedly not saying that this happened, but the timeline certainly invites some speculation.

Singing the praises of a guy that he'd tried to get fired just a year before?

(Voth and Person have both confirmed that)

The Giants were on something like their third choice by that point.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

First of all we haven't started playing games so all we have is what they look like on paper. Second we have pretty decent corners. The safeties are still up for debate but I think we will be much better than last year simply with a better scheme.  Wilks didn't do the secondary any favors last year.

Don't pay some of these guys any attention. Some of them hate like clockwork.

As for Samuel, I've been saying not to discount him for weeks now.

1 hour ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Even over some the vets that they brought in, Samuel is the best NFL route runner on the team?

Yes. 

i’d argue that. His keen awareness of timing and ability to do a quick cut and accelerate to attain separation isn’t something I think another Panthers WR could do just as well. 

He’s a real threat as long as he stays healthy and refines his catching technique outside his frame.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Norv looks like he knows what to do with Samuel, unlike Shula who Rivera even admitted late in the year had no idea how to use him.

This is what excites me the most.  This dude has some serious wheels.  You put him in situations where defenses have to cover, Moore, Olsen, Funchess and CMC.  He is going to cause some troubles for defenses.   

He was pretty healthy at OSU so I take last year as a fluke and he'll be GTG this year.

Can't wait to see what Norv does with him.

1 hour ago, trucpfan said:

It's not serious expectations it's called production. Based off what we've seen already played well by week 11 and also has a excellent health track record up until last year. My serious expectations are produce when called upon he'll be in rotation, you think it's to much to expect him to make plays when given the chance consistently? 

1 hour ago, Johnny Rockets said:

When did I imply that or even give an opinion on the topic at all?

2 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I heard Steve Smith talking about Samuel a couple weeks ago and he put it like this: It takes most college WRs 3 years to learn a NFL system and make a real impact. It would take at least that for a hybrid WR/RB to get it down. Throw in a lost year for injury and anyone putting serious expectations on Samuel this year is being unrealistic. Guess we will see. 

I was replying to your statement but let me clarify so we can be on the same page. "Serious expectations" in definition may differ between us I expect 5-700 yards atleast combined. I expect him to make a big play (20+yards) from game to game while being in a rotation. I feel like he may be able to play the stretch the field role consistently and if so that in itself is a major impact and serious expectations im looking for this season. I don't feel like he gets a pass or has a injury year excuse AT ALL the man played in week 2 and week 12 he missed some time but received plenty of tutelage. He's actually had more time to learn then actually play so I expect him to fully ready to contribute weekly I'm not sure what you consider serious expectations I thought it meant out there performing on a weekly basis making a impact wether he's our number 3 or 4 or shoots ip to number 2 by chance.

Archived