• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTAs - Photos and Notes

Jeremy Igo

Hello there and welcome to the Carolina Panthers OTA sessions of 2018.

First things first, you have to get the right music for a successful practice. Your DJ? Cam Newton.

Carolina-Panthers-3.jpg

Ryan Kalil did a fair amount of practicing which was good to see. The Panthers really need a healthy season from him. The entire line hinges on him being in there.

Carolina-Panthers-2.jpg

Cam Newton was as vocal as ever. Not shy about getting the guys' attention.

Carolina-Panthers-4.jpg

Have a Ball.

Carolina-Panthers-5.jpg

Garrett Gilbert was by far the second most impressive quarterback on the field. He looked well ahead of the pack as far as the second string QB job goes.

Carolina-Panthers-6.jpg

Curtis Samuel got in more practice than I expected him to. At this point I would be shocked if he is not full go by training camp. Samuel showed some nice hands today, hauling in some tough catches.

Carolina-Panthers-8.jpg

DJ Moore got plenty of one on one attention from the wide receivers coach today. At one point coach Taylor himself played defender for Moore during drills.

Carolina-Panthers-9.jpg

Cameron Artis-Payne dropped a ball in simple RB drills. Not a big deal really , but for a guy trying to finally come into his own these little mistakes could add up.

Carolina-Panthers-10.jpg

CJ Anderson on the other hand showed really nice hands all day long. Catches the ball too smoothly for a guy his size.

Carolina-Panthers-11.jpg

Carolina-Panthers-12.jpg

Gaulden didn't see time with the first or second string defenses from what I could see. Here he could not quite make a catch during interception drills. Your starting safeties were Adams and Searcy and I doubt that changes.

Carolina-Panthers-14.jpg

General Observations

Was good to see Alex Armah in the back field with Cam Newton playing that H-Back role. He got in as much time as Manhertz.

Rookie TE Ian Thomas made a really nice grab in stride from Gilbert. Earned a holler from Cam Newton.

Starting corners were Bradberry and Seymour. Starting nickel was Munnerlyn.

Rookie DE Haynes showed more strength than I expected from him in sled drills. Was really able to show some power there. Pleasant surprise. I can remember the days of Hurney's other light DE's not being able to complete said drills.

Cam Newton hit DJ Moore in stride over the middle of the field for a big gain against the first string defense. My heart skipped a beat.

The rookie DBs did not get much work in at all, which was expected.

Julius Peppers jogged around a bit, sat on a bike, left early. Thats good for about 12 sacks this season.

Here is the big question, and I think I know the answer, but it is interesting a bit--why is Moore not wearing gloves?  He has them in his holster, but I am assuming this was some drill and he did not feel that he needed them, but then I wondered (with my brain) if he was doing it deliberately to increase his concentration.

59 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Julius Peppers jogged around a bit, sat on a bike, left early. Thats good for about 12 sacks this season.

While we all love Peppers and he had a productive 2017, I have my doubts he replicates that performance. I am expecting a drop off.

6 minutes ago, ChibCU said:

While we all love Peppers and he had a productive 2017, I have my doubts he replicates that performance. I am expecting a drop off.

I think that's been said about him for the past 6 years...

12 minutes ago, ChibCU said:

I'm not sure he can replicate last year's performance either. Last season he got home a lot. What I mean by that is that he really didn't create many pressures when he didn't register a sack. QB pressures are almost as important as actual sacks. You're still affecting the QB and being disruptive. 4:1 is a great pressure:sack ratio for an outside pass rusher. Anything better than 3:1 is amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Peppers' past year was the best of any double digit sack guy in the history of the NFL.

Archived