• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty impressed with new guard

Jeremy Igo

22 minutes ago, NAS said:

Hurney falls in love with "what could be" sometimes that he doesn't see the obvious.  there's a reason this guy wasn't drafted.

This is a bit self-promoting.  Note that he is promoting the player he personally scouted.  Historically, he has often overpaid his draft picks and then mentions that Ryan Kalil, for example, is the highest paid C in football...

However, this guy as a G is a solid acquisition. 

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Huh? Norwell wasn’t drafted. Heck, Mario Addison wasn’t either. There are lots of UDFAs starting in the NFL. Guard is a position that you expect to have UDFA finds because it has been a devalued position and gets drafted later than other positions. People will take swings at tackle because of the premium. Look at this year’s first round, two higher bust potential tackles taken before much lower bust potential guards/centers when the guard/center pool was much better than the tackle pool. I’d virtually guarantee 1 or more of the top guard/centers make the pro bowl before those two tackles.

I’m not saying Mahon will be a starter but we did well in UDFA grabbing a bunch of the top guards available when it was a deep class. This year is a good year to get an UDFA guard gem. 

Fair point.  I just think it's premature for him to start bragging about him when he hasn't even seen the full training camp or played a preseason game.

18 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think it’s almost like a coach praising to get extra motivation.  I hope the guy hangs on and becomes a good story.  For him and for the panthers.  

When Rivera does that, I cringe.

He praised Sione Fua a lot.

2 hours ago, NAS said:

Hurney falls in love with "what could be" sometimes that he doesn't see the obvious.  there's a reason this guy wasn't drafted.

This is about the shallowest comment I have seen today.  Every year, with just about every team, a UDFA makes a team.

Norwell was a beast and he was a guard but didn't get selected.  He turned that opportunity into a Pro Bowl bid and a big fat contract.

For the GM to be excited about a player he brought in as a UDFA isn't nothing new.  I am pulling for him and I would imagine at minimum, unless he flops badly, he will be a PS player at worst. 

I just wish these guys could practice without names or numbers on their jerseys so that whoever performed the best got the starting job.  Instead it will almost certainly be based on preconceived favorites, contract situation, or some other BS reason.  Remember, the only reason Norwell ever even got in a game was because the piece of crap starting ahead of him got hurt.  Our coaching staff had no idea a top 3 guard in the league was sitting on the bench behind him, nor would any of the rest of us if the injury didnt occur.  Not exactly reassuring is it?

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Also kind of what they said about silatolu.

I had the same thought when I was typing.  Silatolu would be fine if he could think.  He plays confused.  You can tell by watching him approach the LOS and after the ball is snapped.  He used to ask the T on the way to the LOS what to do--then he started doing that with Kalil on the right side.  Then, when the ball is snapped, his head sometimes goes back and forth--sign of confusion (former HS OL coach, so I am the source of all knowledge here--seriously, you get what you can get by watching film). 

And the biggest difference?  Silatolu was a 2nd rounder.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

When Rivera does that, I cringe.

He praised Sione Fua a lot.

He sure did---it was a head scratcher.  But maybe that was to save face for a stupid draft pick.  There is no agenda for promoting a UDFA. 

Archived