• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty impressed with new guard

Jeremy Igo

Marty appears big on UDFA guard Mahon.

From the observer...

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/tom-sorensen-blog/article211306434.html?__twitter_impression=true

“That’s my guy,” says Carolina general manager Marty Hurney, who watched Mahon on tape and attended one game to scout him live. “He just has that look in his eye. He’s physical. He’s got a chance.”

Panthers desperately need one of these UDFA guards to make the team.

This is exactly what I called when I looked at tape of our UDFA's.  Guy was meh as a tackle but mostly because he struggled with speed rushers.  On the other hand, in the run game, the guy was a mauler and loved contact.  If taken off the edge and just allowed to maul, I think he can be a pretty good guard.  Until I see him with contact, I won't make it a lock, but I do think he has a very good chance to be a decent guard for us.

10 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

This is exactly what I called when I looked at tape of our UDFA's.  Guy was meh as a tackle but mostly because he struggled with speed rushers.  On the other hand, in the run game, the guy was a mauler and loved contact.  If taken off the edge and just allowed to maul, I think he can be a pretty good guard.  Until I see him with contact, I won't make it a lock, but I do think he has a very good chance to be a decent guard for us.

This is what they said about Norwell.

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Scrolled down real fast so I could not see the name---I am going with the G from Penn St.   My second choice is the G from Clemson.  Now I am hitting "Submit reply" and going to scroll up.

Good call, self.  I have watched a game or two on youtube and was impressed.  This guy will start in the NFL before some of our draft picks do.

Archived