• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overall thoughts after watching rookie camp

Jeremy Igo

Total side note:  Kalif Phillips, local kid, AL Brown High School.

I rooting for him.  Maybe not as a starter, but I'd love to see him eek out some kind of NFL career.  Great kid.  My wife taught him.  Comes from an absolutely horrible background, but has a great support system.  It would just be really cool to see him do well.

Jourdan Rodrique mentioned him several times, and RR said he made an impression.  I'm hoping for that local product.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Probably about the same number as hype player's up that turn out to amount to nothing. 

I don't see a bunch of "over reaction." We are largely just skeptical of project players. The NFL is a tough environment to try and get up to speed on a new position. It happens but it isn't common. As Igo stated, it's also a pretty steep learning curve. 

Even if there is a pay off, we might not see it for 2-3 seasons. Time will tell and Marty will likely be gone when the real judgement of that pick is rendered.

tons of people on here are judging this kid, or as you put it, skeptical of him, before he has played a single snap in the NFL.  Calling anyone a bad pick, a bust, or any kind of pre-judgement good or bad, before he's actually had a chance to play or grow is an over-reaction.

15 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

tons of people on here are judging this kid, or as you put it, skeptical of him, before he has played a single snap in the NFL.  Calling anyone a bad pick, a bust, or any kind of pre-judgement good or bad, before he's actually had a chance to play or grow is an over-reaction.

It seems to be perfectly ok to make negative judgments of a player after a few days of drills. Then when something positive is mentioned it's the predictable "It's too early for that".

It's also logical to predict the next few years of a player but too early to say a guy looked good in his drills.

On 5/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, Camp Fodder said:

Yea Gaulden is the only pick I didn’t care for. We could have had a true safety there

Which tells you we didn't want a true safety. We had too many breakdowns in the secondary with safeties with no coverage skills. 

While it's exciting that on field activities are starting up, (even if it's just rookie camp we're talking about) I don't think any realistic regular season expectations can be inferred or deduced from anything that's happened thus far..... Much less potential snap counts or which rookies may or may  not be starting.

But who am I kidding, it's still one step closer to real football!  I just think over analyzing things at this point is pure speculation.  Although I will admit it's better than discussing mock drafts! haha

1 hour ago, Mother Grabber said:

I can't agree with that. There is an entire industry built on that sort of speculation, not to mention it is the basis of scouting in general. I would agree that some of the vitriol thrown about is excessive. But having misgivings or being pumped about a prospect isn't inherently an over-reaction. 

It's funny about Gaulden....I listen to and read draft analysts talk about him, and I hear waaaaaay more about him at corner than safety. Either they missed the memo on Hurney wanting to convert him to S or they just think we doubled down on corners. I haven't heard too many of them confidently announce him as a future safety in the league. 

I believe his skills and athleticism/intelligence will allow a move to safety, but it ain't happening in 2018 as a starter. I'd rather sign Reid and let Gaulden learn from three veteran safeties and mold the youngster into a starting safety a la the Honey Badger as others have compared him and let him be that flex hybrid NB/S roamer.

I feel like that position is getting redefined lately and less of a specific round peg in a round hole kind of position. Guys like Shaq can slide into that Buffalo Nickel role and guys like Honey Badger can play that undersized safety/NB spot. Corners and safeties mixing up coverages pre-snap and then post-snap to disguise their coverage is kind of akin to receivers and backs motioning around to confuse defenses.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I can't agree with that. There is an entire industry built on that sort of speculation, not to mention it is the basis of scouting in general. I would agree that some of the vitriol thrown about is excessive. But having misgivings or being pumped about a prospect isn't inherently an over-reaction. 

patience, Daniel-san...

44 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

patience, Daniel-san...

I try to preach the patience aspect for younger guys too(not players like Matt Kalil, who had a long track record in the league to see) however I don't find fault with people's hot takes on these draft picks coming into the league. It's normal. I find more fault with the guys jumping en masse off the bandwagon after a tough rookie year. 

Archived