• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overall thoughts after watching rookie camp

Jeremy Igo

Didn't like the Gaulden pick either. I suspect he ends up being one of those guys that sticks around on the roster and never amounts to much. 

But, we are still in the "way too early" prediction mode. I will withhold my initial predictions until after training camp and preseason.

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’d love to eat crow. I don’t want him to not succeed now that he’s in the team. We’d been talking about safeties up to the draft and had Reid, Bates and Harrison in for private visits. I think most of us are disappointed we didn’t get any of those 3 and instead got more of a project.

the real question is will it be with Eastern or Western Carolina BBQ sawse.  nom nom.

5 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

how many people on here will eat crow and admit their over reaction, if Gaulden turns into a decent player, or forbid even a great one.  :fear:

I'm guessing none.

Let me try and expand on my thoughts about Gaulden. I like the kid. I think he plays with great energy. Good tackler. But my overall problem with the pick is it resembles a luxury pick. A project for the future. We can tell that from the first minicamp. It’s like the 2016 first round wouldnt it be wonderful if we select another DT like Butler that only sporadically sees the field pick. The issue is we are in immediate need of a safety. The versatility that the front office preaches is worthless if he doesn’t see the field. 

Searcy may be ok. He did get beat out by Byard in Ten. who is awesome. But Searcy is no versatile specimen. And if he is the choice due to RR rigid depth chart feelings of veteran leadership, Gaulden isn’t seeing the field anytime soon. One he doesn’t have the experience and two he is really behind the learning curve changing positions.  

I hope he works out   He seems like a great kid.  But he does us no good with his versatile butt on the bench this year IMO while we are getting torched by the rest of the NFCS  

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

As soon as that pick was made and we passed on other safeties, I felt that we were going to look at that pick in a couple years and think that we could have had X or Y. After Ian Thomas, no idea what we'll get, but that's always a crap shoot. It would be nice to get something, but Gaulden just felt off as soon as the pick was made. I hate the idea of picking someone in the 3rd based on hoping they can switch positions successfully.

...signature hurney.. ... he didnt learn sht ..hated the pick...but he a panther now so pulling for the kid.

3 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

the real question is will it be with Eastern or Western Carolina BBQ sawse.  nom nom.

As someone born and raised in western NC, let me just say that eastern style BBQ is far superior. Period. Western NC style BBQ is basically just poorly executed STL style BBQ. When it comes to good BBQ, there’s basically eastern NC style and Texas style. The rest is overly sauced trash. Don’t at me. 

13 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

how many people on here will eat crow and admit their over reaction, if Gaulden turns into a decent player, or forbid even a great one.  :fear:

I'm guessing none.

Probably about the same number as hype player's up that turn out to amount to nothing. 

I don't see a bunch of "over reaction." We are largely just skeptical of project players. The NFL is a tough environment to try and get up to speed on a new position. It happens but it isn't common. As Igo stated, it's also a pretty steep learning curve. 

Even if there is a pay off, we might not see it for 2-3 seasons. Time will tell and Marty will likely be gone when the real judgement of that pick is rendered.

Archived