• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overall thoughts after watching rookie camp

Jeremy Igo

So, after watching rookie camp, not much in my mind has changed from first impressions after the draft.

DJ Moore looks like a NFL wide receiver. I can't say that he will light up the league, but he should be a significant contributor on the WR corps. Not sure if he is a week 1 starter, but 20 reps in week 1 is definitely possible.

Corner Donte Jackson has the speed as advertised. Also, all the confidence in the world. However, I wonder how he will respond when the Panthers vet receivers get the best of him, which they will do early and often. I have a feeling Damiere is licking his chops just on the "I am the fastest Panther" comment from Donte. FOr me this will be the matchup to watch during OTAs. The two fastest guys on the squad going head to head.

Safety Gaulden is a project. Big learning curve ahead of him. If he is starting this year either he is the fastest learner in the NFL or the Panthers are very, very bad off at Safety.

Tight End Ian Thomas was pretty darn impressive. Definitely will make the team and possibly see playing time. Reminds me a bit of Dallas Clark in his play.

The rest of the guys? I can't say with any confidence they will have a jersey in September. As the old cliche' goes, its gonna be special teams, special teams, special teams for them.

love the writeup and article zod

Here's my way too early prediction for this season. 

• Starting WRs day one: Funchess + Smith + Wright (if samuel is 100% then pencil him in here). 
    • This will obviously upset a lot of people. I can already see the rage. But Rivera and maybe importantly Norv will want to start the season with veterans they can depend on. However, I highly suspect that by seasons end (assuming full health) Our starters will be Funchess + Samuel + Moore. Moore will, as you said, get some reps and by about week 4 I'm certain we will be clamoring for him to start over Wright in the slot role. 
  • Starting LG for the season: Taylor Moton. 
    • I think the Amini news is smoke and mirrors. Moton will get his chance at G, but the Panthers will at some point realize that he is better suited for RT where he will move when we lose Daryl Williams to FA next offseason. Expect us to draft a G and/or C very high next year. Probably round 1. 
  • starting day 1 S alongside Adams: Searcy. Starting safety by the end of the year: Tre Boston or another veteran. 
    • I don't have anything against Searcy. He's a great special teams and depth player. But he isn't a quality safety. With a bunch of young CBs. Safety will have to be a dependable position for us this year. Marty will cave at some point and sign a veteran. 
  • Starting CBs Day 1: Bradberry, Cockrell, Captain. Starting CBs by end of year: Bradberry, Cockrell, Jackson/Gaulden.
    • The writing is already on the wall for Gaulden that the Panthers might panic and move him to NB. Marty is notorious for drafting players and converting their position and has a very mixed success rate at best. I hope we give Gaulden all the time he needs because I think he could be great in the S/NB hybrid role that the Honey Badger has performed so well at. Jackson can already be an effective NB for us. 
  • Long snapper: JJ fuging Jansen 
    • Just wanted to give my boy a shout out. 

28 minutes ago, SOJA said:

love the writeup and article zod

Here's my way too early prediction for this season. 

• Starting WRs day one: Funchess + Smith + Wright (if samuel is 100% then pencil him in here). 
    • This will obviously upset a lot of people. I can already see the rage. But Rivera and maybe importantly Norv will want to start the season with veterans they can depend on. However, I highly suspect that by seasons end (assuming full health) Our starters will be Funchess + Samuel + Moore. Moore will, as you said, get some reps and by about week 4 I'm certain we will be clamoring for him to start over Wright in the slot role. 
  • Starting LG for the season: Taylor Moton. 
    • I think the Amini news is smoke and mirrors. Moton will get his chance at G, but the Panthers will at some point realize that he is better suited for RT where he will move when we lose Daryl Williams to FA next offseason. Expect us to draft a G and/or C very high next year. Probably round 1. 
  • starting day 1 S alongside Adams: Searcy. Starting safety by the end of the year: Tre Boston or another veteran. 
    • I don't have anything against Searcy. He's a great special teams and depth player. But he isn't a quality safety. With a bunch of young CBs. Safety will have to be a dependable position for us this year. Marty will cave at some point and sign a veteran. 
  • Starting CBs Day 1: Bradberry, Cockrell, Captain. Starting CBs by end of year: Bradberry, Cockrell, Jackson/Gaulden.
    • The writing is already on the wall for Gaulden that the Panthers might panic and move him to NB. Marty is notorious for drafting players and converting their position and has a very mixed success rate at best. I hope we give Gaulden all the time he needs because I think he could be great in the S/NB hybrid role that the Honey Badger has performed so well at. Jackson can already be an effective NB for us. 
  • Long snapper: JJ fuging Jansen 
    • Just wanted to give my boy a shout out. 

No way in Hell we let Daryl Williams go one of the best RT in the league when you are also going to lose Ryan Kalil and possibly Matt Kalil.

Some Core Players you have to keep. 

12 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

No way in Hell we let Daryl Williams go one of the best RT in the league when you are also going to lose Ryan Kalil and possibly Matt Kalil.

Some Core Players you have to keep. 

My prediction assumes that Moton will be a good RT. 

I'd rather keep Moton on his rookie deal at RT, and use the money we would spend on Daryl Williams to find an actual LT. 

13 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I also think a couple days is a little light for judgements but respect the point of view.   We get a couple starters and some guys that contribute this year with promise for next. Even on ST and it will be fine.   

After the Ian Thomas pick, I went into WTF mode.  I know that he probably was not impressive during the no-contact, eyeball test, but Haynes was a real head scratcher.  I still think there is something there we do not understand.  I doubt they are looking for anything from him this year, but Peppers is gone next year.

Speaking of Ian Thomas, he is wearing my high school/college number, one that is rather cursed on this team.  Let's hope he can make it so I can finally buy an 80 jersey.

I think Marty feels that he can find value by converting players from one position to another, but that does not work well for him at the top of the draft.  If I am not mistaken, Godfrey may have been his most successful project, switching from CB to S.  I think Sherrod Martin did as well.  Then you have players like Armanti Edwards, the poster child for stupid draft trades.  In my opinion, Gaulden is a smart person (based on his interviews) and that intelligence will be best utilized facing the line of scrimmage where he can call coverages and read plays.

16 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Ian Thomas’s SPARQ is only behind Mike Gesicki from his draft class. Plus, he had really good tape despite how crappy a program he came from.

The Ian Thomas pick will make this draft a successful one--especially if Gaulden works out soon.  I wanted him in the third round, so I was happy to see them grab him in the early 4th.

18 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I also think a couple days is a little light for judgements but respect the point of view.   We get a couple starters and some guys that contribute this year with promise for next. Even on ST and it will be fine.   

I respect it but I can't see the purpose of it now. I just see where this is going in terms of reactions. 

Archived