• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Rookie Camp - Day 1 Photos and Notes

Jeremy Igo

Hello ladies and gents, here we are at another Carolina Panthers rookie camp. Day one provided a few items of note.

Here I shall share with you photos and what I peeped.

First off, DJ Moore entered the field mean muggin. Seems to have a very pleasant personality.

Carolina-Panthers-1.jpg

Donte Jackson and DJ Moore proceeded to mug for the camera as they goofed around a bit together. Already friends these two seem to be. I think DJ may be the one guy on the offense that Action Jackson did not talk an extreme amount of smack too.

Carolina-Panthers-3.jpgCarolina-Panthers-4.jpg

Marty Hurney's focus for much of the day was on his number one draft pick. He knows he needs to knock it out of the park with this one.

Carolina-Panthers-5.jpg

DJ Moore was used in a variety of ways. Working the outside, motioning into the slow, even taking a handoff or two on an end around. I really think the Panthers intend to use Moore much like the did Smith, ie... every way possible.

Carolina-Panthers-6.jpgCarolina-Panthers-7.jpg

DJ got the play of the day on this very nice comeback grab as he fell keeping his feet in bounds. That is what we call a flash, and all first rounders should show it in rookie camp.

Carolina-Panthers-8.jpg

I'd like to see Oregon CB Ty Griffin get a camp invite. He made several plays on the ball and a few really nice PBU. He is crazy athletic and man did that show. He just needs some time to develop. For my money he was the most impressive corner on the field.

Carolina-Panthers-9.jpg

Round 1 vs Round two in drills. No pass was thrown here, just players working on the details of the position. Getting off the blocks, proper hand placement,  keeping your man inside or outside, etc.

Carolina-Panthers-11.jpg

TE Ian Thomas looked better than I expected. More polished of a pass catcher than I had heard. Here he hauled in a ball that was heavily contested.

Carolina-Panthers-12.jpg

Austin Duke and Action Jackson went at it most of the day, and Jackson talked smack the entire time. To my eyes, however, Duke won the play on the field (where it counts).

Carolina-Panthers-13.jpg

Jackson did have a nice fumble recovery that earned him praise from Coach Washington.

Carolina-Panthers-14.jpgCarolina-Panthers-15.jpgCarolina-Panthers-16.jpg

At the end of practice, DJ Moore hauled in punt return reps (see what I mean, a lot like Smitty). I would be really interested to see what he can do returning balls. BTW, he didn't drop any and it was very windy.

Carolina-Panthers-18.jpg

The QB play was pretty darn poor today, as it has been at rookie camp for some time now. Derek Anderson will likely be back.

I will be there again today to help quench your Panthers thirst.

18 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, since no one has said it, I might as well say it---stir the pot a little bit at this early point...

So Duke, UDFA practice squadder, got the best of Action Jackson, huh?  

4AC008CB-56FC-45E9-8E1D-DD7EBB2EFEC4.gif

35 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, since no one has said it, I might as well say it---stir the pot a little bit at this early point...

So Duke, UDFA practice squadder, got the best of Action Jackson, huh?  

Should not be that surprising. Duke went through an entire training camp and many regular season practices. This was action jackson's first pro practice.

Well, enter Ty Griffin. It's his first practice too. He's attempting to corner his position as a cornerback, but is apparently a man of varied skills. 

"An option quarterback at Georgia Tech before his 2014 transfer to be closer to his younger brother Taj, a UO wideout, Griffin moonlighted at quarterback, running back, receiver and safety before landing at corner.

At 6-feet, 204 pounds, Griffin has routinely been called by his teammates among the strongest Ducks, pound for pound. He benches 355 pounds, squats 470 and power cleans 350."

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/08/ty_griffin_has_always_been_one.html

Another athlete without a true position that can either wash out or surprise due to his versatility. Intriguing!

1 minute ago, uncfan888 said:

You wanted to stir the pot cuz the thread was boring? You were the first response haha

Yeah, after 50 to 60 people didn't say a damned thing, I thought it was just fitting to inject it with some energy.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hello ladies and gents, here we are at another Carolina Panthers rookie camp. Day one provided a few items of note.

I love the pictures, but the commentary is better.  Will Gaulden be out there today?

15 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

I love the pictures, but the commentary is better.  Will Gaulden be out there today?

He was out there yesterday. Got burned by TE Ian Thomas, caught flat footed. Didn't look all that great. Hope he has a better showing today.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

TE Ian Thomas looked better than I expected. More polished of a pass catcher than I had heard. Here he hauled in a ball that was heavily contested.

If they don't baby him in his development he could be the best rookie out of this class over DJ & Donte Jackson. 

Archived