• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left tackle and left guard ... Good enough to get it done?

Jeremy Igo

12 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Why not go ahead move Moton to LT and put kalil at guard? Isnt that normally what happens to LTs that suck but not enough to be benched?  

Moton going to have to show something serious for that move to be made with all the money that's been invested in M.Kalil.

38 minutes ago, BigSyke said:

Moton going to have to show something serious for that move to be made with all the money that's been invested in M.Kalil.

he ain't moving to LT...or they wouldn't even suggest him at OG...he gone !

I like the line better than year's past. It's not what's holding back the team. What's really going to help is no more shula and long developing plays. Norv will be getting the ball out of Cam's hands fairly quickly. The receivers have to be good at their routes and thankfully the only one truly tainted by that is Funchess. 

Just now, RumHam said:

I like the line better than year's past. It's not what's holding back the team. What's really going to help is no more shula and long developing plays. Norv will be getting the ball out of Cam's hands fairly quickly. The receivers have to be good at their routes and thankfully the only one truly tainted by that is Funchess. 

Norv's system runs a lot of deep routes...the difference between his and what Shula ran is all about efficiency really.  Shula had deep routes that were also long developing plays, with receivers relying on rubs or a breakdown in the secondary to get free.  Norv's system runs deep patterns that are designed to be short developing plays...timing plays where Cam unloads well before the WR even breaks.  I am hoping this makes all the difference in the world.  

14 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I have a feeling either Moton is gonna be a beast or one of the guys we signed after the season may end up being a diamond in the rough at LG...  Kalil is gonna be given the job and will be trash as usual...  I just hope the collective effort of the surrounding group will make him serviceable.

I pray to the football Gods that Moton comes into camp this year and takes the starting LT position from Kalil the lesser, and his ass gets sit on the bench come Sunday dreaming about screwing his bikini model wife on the big piles of money we're giving him for no good reason.

11 hours ago, stbugs said:

He was 100% lost early in the season. Didn't know where to be and who to block and angles on the block, etc. He absolutely improved his run blocking after that. Improved doesn't mean no bad games or can't handle Cam Jordan, it means he got better from his early season play.

So, from absolutely lost to sub-par last year.  If he continues to improve this season to slightly below average or (fingers crossed) average, we should be set. 

59 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Norv's system runs a lot of deep routes...the difference between his and what Shula ran is all about efficiency really.  Shula had deep routes that were also long developing plays, with receivers relying on rubs or a breakdown in the secondary to get free.  Norv's system runs deep patterns that are designed to be short developing plays...timing plays where Cam unloads well before the WR even breaks.  I am hoping this makes all the difference in the world.  

Which is why we went after speedy receivers in the off season. 

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

In short, the line has more experience together and a plethora of weapons will get the ball out quicker and allow us to dictate the game, taking pressure off of our O-line

I like your optimism and analysis.

May it be so!

Well, it’s not like Matt Kalil does not know Norv Turner and vice versa

The bed is made, we will have to rearrange the sheets for comfort and lay in it for another year

As far as Ryan, I would have cut him. Neck and shoulder  injuries over the last two years tell the sad tale of collisions over time. 

14 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Well, it’s not like Matt Kalil does not know Norv Turner and vice versa

The bed is made, we will have to rearrange the sheets for comfort and lay in it for another year

As far as Ryan, I would have cut him. Neck and shoulder  injuries over the last two years tell the sad tale of collisions over time. 

Yeah but then you are left having to replace him in an offseason where we already had so many holes to fill. If the staff believes Larsen is the guy, that move would make sense. If they don't, try to buy another year so we can deal with getting another C next offseason. It's a reasonable gamble for us, IMO. His salary is very high but it disappears next season anyway. 

I don't know if I have confidence in Kalil at LT or not.  If he is just ok I guess we will be find.  But the number of players in competition for the LG spot is impressive.  The players are not that impressive, it's just the number trying out for the spot is.  Here is all the ones that have been mentioned in no real order:

Larsen, Tyler

Van Roten, Greg

Sirles, Jeremiah

Johnson, Dorian

Silatolu, Amini

Moton, Taylor

Clausell, Blaine

Banner, Zach

That's 8 guys.  All of these guys have either been mentioned by the coaching staff or on here by someone.  That's not including the UDFA we picked up after the draft.  Hell, by the time we get to training camp I think half the damn team will be trying out for LG.  We already have 8 of the 13 OLmen we have trying out for it.  If someone at least decent doesn't come out of this competition we have really pooed the bed with either coaching or scouting.

Archived