• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left tackle and left guard ... Good enough to get it done?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Why not go ahead move Moton to LT and put kalil at guard? Isnt that normally what happens to LTs that suck but not enough to be benched? 

I’ve thought about this a few times. It depends on how good Moton is at LT... I think we have several options at LG with Larsen, Van Roten, two big school UDFAs and Moton (unless he looks better at LT then put M Kalil here in the competition). 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He was better when Ryan Kalil was in there taking on double teams. Without Ryan in there, he was very bad.

Yeah, I could see that.  However that could be said about most of the Oline.  The early season it was also a lot of missed assignments , late movement type errors made him stand out even more.  Near the end of the season , wasn't as many of those types of errors at least.  

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Why in the world would we want to change out two positions on the OL? Why not keep 4 of 5 positions stable and work on the 5th? It's like the suggestions I saw in previous threads this off season about moving Daryl Williams from RT to LT and putting Moton at RT.

I think Matt Kalil will play better. He improved after the first handful of games where he was awful. People may not believe this, but he improved his run blocking and while I won't credit him for the entire improvement in the running game (horrific to 200+ yards weeks in row), his improvement was a factor.

He was absolute poo the playoff game against the saints so i dont nowhere you got improvement from. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Or  let Kalil compete at G.  Run blocking is his weakest area, followed closely by pass blocking.  Every other part of his game is stellar,  it should be noted.

No issue with having him compete, its just everybody knows Rivera wont bench him for any reason so he is gonna have to stick somewhere. 

When you have a bag of poop lined up at LT it's going to limit your deep passing game. I'm not happy with the O-line situation, but Gettleman pooped the bed and you can't undo that in the short term. We're stuck for now.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Time for your season prediciton. 

Assume the roster is set as far as offensive line.

Can Matt Kalil and likely Taylor Moton get the job done?

Not as good as I'd like it. But Norv Turner will not repeatedly try to ram a square peg in to a round hole as Shula did and won't shyt the bed with gameday play calling. In other words we will actually have an offensive game plan that plays to our strengths and protects our weaknesses.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Time for your season prediciton. 

Assume the roster is set as far as offensive line.

Can Matt Kalil and likely Taylor Moton get the job done?

I think we are going to like Moton there and never look back.  Kalil?  We know what we have--you can have a below average lineman, but not 2.  Dang that was a terrible signing.

8 hours ago, KendrickPanther said:

Having receivers that can get open in different parts of the field should help. If Cam connects with CMC and Moore, he won't need as much time.

Turner has stated before one thing he wants to get Cam to do is get the ball out quicker.  This obviously will help Kalil as he won't have to hold his block as long as before.

I think we'll all be surprised by how much better our offensive line will look this season. Both Kalils will have sturdy years and Moton will come along quickly, first as a mauler in the run game and then in pass protection later in the year.

Why?

Ryan IS a Pro Bowl center and is motivated to get a ring before he calls it a career. He might be an old lion, but his game was more about smarts than strength. As for Matt, last year was a settling in year and he did perform much better as the season wore on. I expect him to pick up where he left off and actually improve on it as the line gels more. 

Moton? There's a reason he was drafted and he has the measureables to make it happen. 

The other, and possibly bigger, factors in this have everything to do with Cam having faster and more versatile weapons at his disposal. He has at least two burners at WR and Funchess is going to come into his own as either a WR1 or a strong possession receiver. CMC and Samuels will also be big factors in the passing game, along with a healthy Greg Olsen in the rotation.

And now, in the running game, you have CMC with a year of seasoning on him, the pickup of CJ Anderson (who is going to thrive here as a runner and receiver) and there's still long, tall Cam back there ready to slice through a defense when the opportunity presents.

Right now we have an offense that can and will take advantage of the short, medium and long ranges shredding any defense that chooses to stack the box or play deep defense. 

In short, the line has more experience together and a plethora of weapons will get the ball out quicker and allow us to dictate the game, taking pressure off of our O-line.

12 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

He was better when Ryan Kalil was in there taking on double teams. Without Ryan in there, he was very bad.

Yes, I really think the line as a whole depends on whether R Kalil can stay healthy

Archived