• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney " Gaulden has a learning curve but in time he will be a solid player for us"

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Why did the Chargers let him walk with no apparent effort to re-sign him?  Serious question.

Especially when safety was one of their biggest needs.  My guess is that they didn't feel his numbers accurately represented his actual play.

2 hours ago, Rags said:

I'd be more concerned about Vaccarro's health.

He was solid in coverage last season and covered the slot okay before he pulled his groin. Dude has all the talent in the world just has the injury bug.

He allowed 492 yards when they moved him to the slot. That was a career high according to PFF.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

He allowed 492 yards when they moved him to the slot. That was a career high according to PFF.

Most of that came after the injury, though it could very well be that teams figured him out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no where near the Vaccarro bandwagon, but he's not as terrible as you're making him out to be. Dude could potentially help, but I'd say the risk outweighs the reward with him.

2 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Height isn't my issue with Jackson. I don't care if you're 5'8" as long as you're built like a fire hydrant. 

My problem is he's super slight. He weighs under 180. Couple that with his short stature and it's a recipe to be tossed around. Captain is 2 inches shorter and nearly 20lbs heavier and he got tossed around last year.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do, but I hope he bulks up before now and the season while still maintaining his speed because he'll need the extra weight to compete and stay healthy at the next level. 

Denzel Ward is only 183 and is an inch shorter than Jackson, and he was a consensus top ten pick that ended up in the top five.  

Since we plan to use him to cover the smaller, faster receivers, I don't think his size will be much of an issue.  I'd ne more concerned if he was going to match up against Evans, Thomas, and Julio, but he should be fine with our current plan.  I also expect him to put on a good 10-15 pounds within the next year or two, which should allow him to diversify who he can cover.

34 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Especially when safety was one of their biggest needs.  My guess is that they didn't feel his numbers accurately represented his actual play.

Sorta like Coleman in 2015 and 16-- he had 11 interceptions, a bunch of tackles and breakups--then Wilks started Blitzing and he had more responsibility and just could not get there--my theory.

Gonna be fun to see  what our coordinators have in store.

7 minutes ago, bull123 said:

les miles was on radio this am talking about jackson as well...said we were gonna love him...said he was as good as patterson

Yes, Jackson was very impressive as well.  Moxie just went way up for the DB room.

Boston would be a nice addition, he was a victim of very poor cb play in 2016, worst case he’s very good depth. Had a good year with the chargers, shocked he’s still a fa this late. Plus we still have team cuts, this group on Paper is better than last year 

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

les miles was on radio this am talking about jackson as well...said we were gonna love him...said he was as good as patterson

There's no way he's actually serious about that.  Donte is gonna be very good for us, but Peterson was a different level.  On top of his dominant physical tools, he was a shut down forget about his man corner in college and on top of that a complete ball hawk.  I mean, his junior year, he had as many INT's as Jackson had in all 3 years he was at LSU. 

FWIW though, I don't think he's too small to play outside, I mean, prolly the greatest corner since the turn of the century was Darrelle Revis, and he was 5-11, 195, almost identical to Jackson.  That doesn't mean I think Donte Jackson is Darrelle Revis, but I'm just saying that size of a corner can play on the outside successfully.

3 hours ago, Woodie said:

Not sure if it was at Alabama's official pro day, but he ran a 4.63, which is the same range as Gaulden.

Combine Results
 Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6020
Weight: 207
40 Yrd Dash: 
20 Yrd Dash: 
10 Yrd Dash: 
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 
3-Cone Drill: 
No Full Workout-Choice

Dates: 03/07/18 03/28/18
Height: 6020
Weight: 207
40 Yrd Dash: 4.63
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 
Vertical Jump: 
Broad Jump: 
20 Yrd Shuttle: 
3-Cone Drill: 

4.54  40 Time Range: 4.63-4.66

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1002810&draftyear=2018&genpos=ss

https://bamahammer.com/2018/03/07/alabama-football-every-nfl-team-attended-tide-pro-day/

I had just read that he didn't run at his pro day, who knows?

Doesn't really matter but I was just trying to figure out what might have caused him to fall.

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

This draft literally equated to projects, which is the absolutely worst way to go into a draft that no one thought off. It's worse then drafting for need. Technically, DJ is a project where as Ridley would have been an impact player. They're hoping DJ fits into a scheme rather than just doing all things right. Jackson and Gaulden, according to hurney, have no true starting positions. You think this staff will get creative or innovative? Has it ever outside of Chud? And then the rest of the draft continued to be Hurney's jackoff fest of potential linebackers and DT's. The TE is also going to be used for blocking. There will be no double TE routes as extensive as it was under Chud. Mark my words, this will be the worst draft this franchise has had, especially since Hurney is so good at picking out receivers. Watch him get hurt and then next year none of these guys are starting opening day 2019.

Yeah, I liked Moore and Jackson, but as previous history shown rarely any good comes from double dipping (Gaulden not even being that good a prospect imho) in all honesty I'm getting Bad Hurney flashbacks with this draft after Moore.

Archived