• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney " Gaulden has a learning curve but in time he will be a solid player for us"

Jeremy Igo

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Jackson is 5'10". You want that on Mike Evans? Dude's a nickel but formidable for a 2nd round pick. Our secondary is still the worst in football right now.

1st Jackson is 5'11, and you do realize Bradberry, and Cockrell are here to match the taller receivers. Cockrell graded out as one of the better DBs in the NFL, and has been a leader in pass deflections the last couple of years (top 8). 

Bradberry / Cockrell / Jackson & Munnerlyn 

Is a much better rotation than what we had last season. 

If you watch the GM/Coach Pressers they spell it out as far as how they want to match up in the division. Containing the big receivers wasn't an issue so much so as it was containing speed outside, and also leaving our DBs on islands. Jackson was brought in to run with guys like (Ginn, Jackson, Ridley Hardy). We didn't have ''long'' speed at the defensive back position along with Seymour's continued development we have that. 

It's about match-ups, and we are better in that dept with the drafting of Jackson as the receivers he matches up against will more often than not be around his size. 

1 hour ago, zacka77ack said:

What are the odds that we're waiting on a new owner before bringing in Eric Reid or Tre Boston (again) ? If you'll remember there was some hullabaloo with Richardson, about people kneeling, and both Reid and Boston mince no words when it comes to expressing themselves, verbally and physically, regarding topics related to the National Anthem kneeling...

I have a feeling that the reason why we didn’t take Justin Reid was due to his brother Eric. 

So don’t see that happening 

38 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yep! Boston may not be total butt, but we can certainly do better! Mitchell is several years removed from being a little above average. Vacarro was worse than both of them put together last year.  That's a trio of sustained inconsistency.

Vaccaro actually had one of his best season last year before he got hurt so don’t be spilling POO. 

Boston wont be back. He done come out and said that he talked with Hurney or who ever it was about a return. and the talk went dead really quick. 

Mitchell ain’t who he used to be anymore and still is a liability in the pass game but he’s a thumper. We need his attitude on the defense. He’s still fairly young. 

1 minute ago, caatfan said:

I expect Searcy to fill the experience void left by Coleman. He's got 7 seasons under his belt and a lot of starts. At 29 he should have something left in the tank. 

Too me Searcy is more a SS than FS. Coleman was a ballhawker. I’m not a big fan of Searcy. He was one of the last guy I really wanted to pick up at S.

21 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Here's another Hurney quote from the pre-draft presser.

Half of this board was okay with spending our 1st on  Justin Reid. He went at pick 68. The GM's league wide spoke on how they viewed this years class at the safety position. 

How many of you would have believed pre-draft that Edmunds would go 40 picks before Reid? Or that Bates would be off the Board at 55? Or that Tracy Walker would go ahead of Ronnie Harrison?

So maybe Harrison wasn't so great after all? 

I didn’t think Harrison would go high. Alabama’s safeties tend to fall. Landon Collins is like the only good one to come out in forever. Remember Robert Lester? Was a talented safety in college. 

I was not surprised by Edmunds going to Pittsburgh in the 1st. He’s a plug and play guy. Reminds me of Keanu Neal. Went earlier than expected but is a thumper. If I didn’t listen to all the draft experts and look at the projections and based everything on game tapes/cutups/whatever you wanna call it I WOULD take Edmunds before Reid. 

1 hour ago, Carolina-Chuck18 said:

Yes he is. I cannot believe Panthers fans have the nerve to say that Boston is all of a sudden an elite safety. This guy was a good role player for us honestly. But a terrible starter who couldn’t cover anyone. He was put in a situation in LA to succeed. One or two INTs he had out of the five were thrown right into his chest. Hayward, King and co covered Boston’s deficiency. 

If you knew assignments, he wasnt as bad here as you think. 

34 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Here's another Hurney quote from the pre-draft presser.

Half of this board was okay with spending our 1st on  Justin Reid. He went at pick 68. The GM's league wide spoke on how they viewed this years class at the safety position. 

How many of you would have believed pre-draft that Edmunds would go 40 picks before Reid? Or that Bates would be off the Board at 55? Or that Tracy Walker would go ahead of Ronnie Harrison?

So maybe Harrison wasn't so great after all? 

I would say the league has spoken on how they value the safety position as a whole with the free agents that remain. It isn't popular with fans but the Panthers valuing the front 7 much more than the safety position isn't just a Panther thing, it's a league wide thing. Safety position has devalued much like the RB position did for a period of time years ago. 

18 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I would say the league has spoken on how they value the safety position as a whole with the free agents that remain. It isn't popular with fans but the Panthers valuing the front 7 much more than the safety position isn't just a Panther thing, it's a league wide thing. Safety position has devalued much like the RB position did for a period of time years ago. 

Disagree. Safety is still one of the most important position. I can agree that teams are looking for more hybrid type safety/corner. 

This was really a weak safety class for both the draft and free agency. These vets that are still not picked up has question marks. Even if Eric Reid wasn’t kneeling, he had red flags: health and liability in the pass game. But teams will start to pick them up soon after the next two weeks or so when teams won’t lose comp picks for next year. 

2018: Minkah (11), Derwin (17) and Edmunds 

2017: Adams (5), Hooker (15), Peppers

2nd rounders- Baker, Maye, Marcus Williams, Justin Evans, Obi and Josh Jones. 

2016: Joseph (14),  Keanu (17)

31 minutes ago, Carolina-Chuck18 said:

Too me Searcy is more a SS than FS. Coleman was a ballhawker. I’m not a big fan of Searcy. He was one of the last guy I really wanted to pick up at S.

He may not be on your wish list, but experience counts when you're training up new guys. 

Archived