• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera on Cameron Artis Payne "I wish we played him more"

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, BigSyke said:

I'm saying the giants/panthers game in 2015. The exchange him and Cam had was terrible. The read option is terrible with him and cam imo.

If I remember correctly he did another terrible exchange in Falcons game.

Seems like the Cap fans think Ron just pushed him into the dog house early so that's the reason he wasn't able to split carries and show his potential?

He did have one in the ATL game and it was on an exchange but that happens when you haven' worked enough with the QB. That does not mean he should have been placed in the doghouse just the opposite. Rivera does not know when to play his good players over players that simply don't have it anymore. Payne should have been given more opportunities in 2015 increasing year by year but no he gave those carries to washed up tolbert and then fozzy. Payne was part of the read option at Auburn and I'm sure that is part why they drafted him. You have to have chemistry in the exchange. Shula/Rivera had Payne practing with 2nd and 3rd string and just simply didn' give him and cam enough hand off exchanges.

2 hours ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

Yea cause Ron Rivera statement about having faith in him and giving him more carries will change due to huddle comment lol.

Cam is in charge of the exchange, he didn’t execute it properly cause he is the one doing the “read”.

NFL stats  also say it’s CAMs fault :)

p.s. CAM has botched snaps with other RB.

Apparently you didn't get it.  Shouting doesn't convince anybody of anything.  CAP has quite a set of groupies here.  CAP is getting his chance...he better hold on to the damn ball.  

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

Taking a play out of someone elses book but no one gave a poo when we creamed Delhomme....wonder why they get so mad when someone brings up something Cam did/does wrong.....hmmmm....

Also CAP is a decent backup and the "need" at RB some people on here made up to themselves was never a thing anyway so those people can keep imagining away.(we draft a RB in the top 10 and imbeciles on here convince themselves its a POS of need lol)(ask them if they've seen our new OC and how his offenses were)(and then tell them again that Cam is the best short yardage power back in the league)

Something  a qb does not need to be because he takes extras hits. Why cant yall understand this?

Brady sneaks 4th and 1 all the time but hes also not running 10 times a game on designed plays, and has a oline that can limit and nearly stop Sacksonville.

No wonder he can play 15 years.

Also, Belichick just got arguably the best LG/LT in the draft to protect him even more. Smart man. And if his no1 qb goes down, he'll bring in a rookie/ or journeyman to great oline and running back that can help him, similar to Eagles.

I’ve been down on CAP,... but it would be unpanther to root against him when it looks like he will have the Smash roll in between CMac’s Dashes.

therefore I’m anointing CAP as young Stewart part 2,... smash away CAP,...

21 minutes ago, Snake said:

People here like to act as if we were benching a young AP. Cap got chances but was either ineffective or fumbled them away. Either way his snap count will be higher this year with a legit oc. 

CAP 2015: 45 carries, 183 yards, 4.1 ypc, 1 TD

2016: 36 carries, 144 yards, 4.0 ypc, 2 TDs

2017: 18 carries, 95 yards, 5.3 ypc, 1 TD

If that's "ineffective" during the very very few opportunities he's been given, then I don't understand what your definition of "effective" would be.

Christian McCaffrey 2017: 3.7 ypc, 2 TD (99 more 2017 rushes)

Jonathan Stewart 2017: 3.4 ypc, 6 TDs (180 more 2017 rushes)

Jonathan Stewart 2016: 3.8 ypc, 9 TDs (182 more 2016 rushes)

Golly, doesn't look like, by your definition, ANY Carolina running backs over the last few years have been "effective".  Here's an idea... maybe that has a lot to do with an ineffective OL and ineffective offensive coaching and a head coach who thinks and believe deep deep inside his pea brain and his heart that a 2-yd rush is a much better play than an 8-yd curl.

And I see you are a member of the "CAP Fumbles" Professional Myth Makers Club.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

CAP 2015: 45 carries, 183 yards, 4.1 ypc, 1 TD

2016: 36 carries, 144 yards, 4.0 ypc, 2 TDs

2017: 18 carries, 95 yards, 5.3 ypc, 1 TD

If that's "ineffective" during the very very few opportunities he's been given, then I don't understand what your definition of "effective" would be.

Christian McCaffrey 2017: 3.7 ypc, 2 TD (99 more 2017 rushes)

Jonathan Stewart 2017: 3.4 ypc, 6 TDs (180 more 2017 rushes)

Jonathan Stewart 2016: 3.8 ypc, 9 TDs (182 more 2016 rushes)

Golly, doesn't look like, by your definition, ANY Carolina running backs over the last few years have been "effective".  Here's an idea... maybe that has a lot to do with an ineffective OL and ineffective offensive coaching and a head coach who thinks and believe deep deep inside his pea brain and his heart that a 2-yd rush is a much better play than an 8-yd curl.

And I see you are a member of the "CAP Fumbles" Professional Myth Makers Club.

Most of those stats were in garbage time so there inflated. Don't get it wrong I want to see the kid succeed and hope he balls out this year but I don't create unnecessary hype like you do. 

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

Most of those stats were in garbage time so there inflated. Don't get it wrong I want to see the kid succeed and hope he balls out this year but I don't create unnecessary hype like you do. 

Nope.

If there is one thing CAP *rarely* received, it was playing time during garbage time.  That's what most everybody is complaining about... about all those excellent opportunities to GET HIM MORE CARRIES during times like garbage time that Rivera always passed up on.

Most of CAPs stats come from the few opportunities that he had to start games where Stewie was injured:

NYG 12/20/15: 14 carries, 59 yards, 4.2 ypc; 2 targets, 2 receptions, 34 receiving yards

ATL 12/27/15: 5 carries, 49 yards, 9.8 ypc; 1 target, 1 reception, 7 receiving yards

TB 1/3/16: 14 carries, 44 yards, 3.1 ypc, 1 rush TD; 2 targets, 2 receptions, 17 receiving yards

MIN 9/25/16: 12 carries, 47 yards, 3.9 ypc; 1 target, 1 reception, 11 receiving yards

ATL 10/2/16: 6 carries, 12 yards, 2.0 ypc; no targets or receptions (this is a game where Carolina was down 31-10 in the 3rd quarter, the rush game was done)

TB 10/10/16:  18 carries, 85 yards, 4.7 ypc, 2 rush TDs; no rargets or receptions

Between Stewie and CMC, CAP didn't get any starts in 2017.  But he was brought on halfway through the 3rd quarter in Miami and finally got "garbage time" opportunities with 7 carries, 68 yards, 9.7 ypc, and a TD.

So CAP's stats as a starter (3 years): 69 carries, 296 yards, 4.3 ypc, 3 TDs; 6 targets, 6 receptions, 69 receiving yards (seems like he catches the ball pretty well when given the opportunity, eh?)

As a "garbage time" sub: 30 carries, 126 yards, 4.2 ypc, 1 rush TD; 1 target, 1 reception, 2 receiving yards

Oh, and ZERO REGULAR SEASON FUMBLES.

Again, except for continuing to WANT to believe the #CAPSUX mythology for some reason, its clear that in the very few opportunities that he's been given by a head coach and retard offensive coordinator that kept him in street clothes, he HAS been about as effective as you can expect.  In fact, if you look at the return he's given on his small opportunities above, I would say he's *exceeded* expectations considering how much he's been ignored by Head Coach Moron #1 and Offensive Coordinator Moron #2.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:16 PM, Yaboychris28 said:

Anyone who saw CAP tear up the preseason and make the most out of his chances while he was in the game knew he should have gotten more playing time, everyone except Ron Rivera

Ron Rivera, while the head coach, is a delegator. Part of taking that style of leadership is trusting in the people who work under you to make the best decisions, and not infringing on those decisions. He is a big reason for the success of our defense as he sticks to his guns, however he should've made a move and rid himself of Shula sooner. 

On 4/29/2018 at 1:57 PM, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Even with Cam Newton as his starting QB, it took RR 7 years before he had more winning seasons than losing ones.

RR still routinely misuses/wastes timeouts, fails to make ingame adjustments and allows opponents back into games with his conservative play not to lose approach.   

Now imagine RR without Cam Newton.  

He is a middle of the road HC at best.

Can I imagine him with Payton Manning in his prime? TB12? Michael Vick? Aaron Rodgers?

Do we win the SB if we have one of those QBs instead of Cam?

Since we are playing imagination land.

Tony Dungy, Pete Carroll, Mike McCarthy and Gark Kubiak all won super bowls... those are not good coaches. One could argue they are in the same bucket as Rivera.

2 of those coaches one a super bowl with one of the greatest QBs in history. If Rivera had that luxury maybe it would be different results for us. Those coaches have commanders at QB who run their offenses.

We had Cam following Shula's orders. It's not that Cam is a bad QB (although there have been throws I really wish he made) but it's not that Rivera is the reason we lost. 

We just never really put up a football team that was good on both sides of the ball (mainly offense, and outside of 2015).

Your argument is dumb. Rivera is well respected around the league and is a good coach. Shula not so much. Wilks not so much.

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Nope.

If there is one thing CAP *rarely* received, it was playing time during garbage time.  That's what most everybody is complaining about... about all those excellent opportunities to GET HIM MORE CARRIES during times like garbage time that Rivera always passed up on.

Most of CAPs stats come from the few opportunities that he had to start games where Stewie was injured:

NYG 12/20/15: 14 carries, 59 yards, 4.2 ypc; 2 targets, 2 receptions, 34 receiving yards

ATL 12/27/15: 5 carries, 49 yards, 9.8 ypc; 1 target, 1 reception, 7 receiving yards

TB 1/3/16: 14 carries, 44 yards, 3.1 ypc, 1 rush TD; 2 targets, 2 receptions, 17 receiving yards

MIN 9/25/16: 12 carries, 47 yards, 3.9 ypc; 1 target, 1 reception, 11 receiving yards

ATL 10/2/16: 6 carries, 12 yards, 2.0 ypc; no targets or receptions (this is a game where Carolina was down 31-10 in the 3rd quarter, the rush game was done)

TB 10/10/16:  18 carries, 85 yards, 4.7 ypc, 2 rush TDs; no rargets or receptions

Between Stewie and CMC, CAP didn't get any starts in 2017.  But he was brought on halfway through the 3rd quarter in Miami and finally got "garbage time" opportunities with 7 carries, 68 yards, 9.7 ypc, and a TD.

So CAP's stats as a starter (3 years): 69 carries, 296 yards, 4.3 ypc, 3 TDs; 6 targets, 6 receptions, 69 receiving yards (seems like he catches the ball pretty well when given the opportunity, eh?)

As a "garbage time" sub: 30 carries, 126 yards, 4.2 ypc, 1 rush TD; 1 target, 1 reception, 2 receiving yards

Oh, and ZERO REGULAR SEASON FUMBLES.

Again, except for continuing to WANT to believe the #CAPSUX mythology for some reason, its clear that in the very few opportunities that he's been given by a head coach and retard offensive coordinator that kept him in street clothes, he HAS been about as effective as you can expect.  In fact, if you look at the return he's given on his small opportunities above, I would say he's *exceeded* expectations considering how much he's been ignored by Head Coach Moron #1 and Offensive Coordinator Moron #2.

Keep pushing your agenda but your wrong.

6 hours ago, Snake said:

All of his yards were not in garbage time some were in the first have and then Shula /Rivera would just shut him down and start calling stupid plays or change the backs . Just like when a play worked you never saw it again that' how they used the personnel. Just like in the one game Cam and Cmac were lightening it up they stopped and never went back. Shula/ Rivera just couldn' get out of their own way. Hopefully it will be different with Norv.

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Can I imagine him with Payton Manning in his prime? TB12? Michael Vick? Aaron Rodgers?

Do we win the SB if we have one of those QBs instead of Cam?

Since we are playing imagination land.

Tony Dungy, Pete Carroll, Mike McCarthy and Gark Kubiak all won super bowls... those are not good coaches. One could argue they are in the same bucket as Rivera.

2 of those coaches one a super bowl with one of the greatest QBs in history. If Rivera had that luxury maybe it would be different results for us. Those coaches have commanders at QB who run their offenses.

We had Cam following Shula's orders. It's not that Cam is a bad QB (although there have been throws I really wish he made) but it's not that Rivera is the reason we lost. 

We just never really put up a football team that was good on both sides of the ball (mainly offense, and outside of 2015).

Your argument is dumb. Rivera is well respected around the league and is a good coach. Shula not so much. Wilks not so much.

We will see with Norv.

Archived