• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many sure thing week 1 starters in this draft?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Pretty sure DJ Moore is a week 1 starter opposite Funchess.

Jackson is a maybe. Situational guy depending on who the opponent is. Does Dallas have a small speedster for him to cover? 

I don't see any of the remaining drafted players starting right away.

So... One week 1 starter out of this draft likely? 

So we are going to start different corners based on who we play? That would be different.

It wouldn’t surprise me if none started week 1.  They admitted Moore ran a limited route tree in college, they might let the veteran start for a bit.

Just to play devils advocate would People feel different if we had drafted Isiah Oliver?  If so that is odd because the two of them were ranked pretty close depending on which site you looked at and often Jackson was higher.

Any TE we would have drafted would have been a TE 2. 

How many safeties after pick 85 would be automatic starters?  And don’t say Harrison, if teams knew he was an automatic starter he wouldn’t have lasted to where he did.

You've got to look at snaps/gm, not the "starter" label:

-Moore of course, 95%+ offensive snaps

-Jackson is our immediate starting NB.  In our defense, that's close to a starter 30%+/gm

-Gaulden will get meaningful rotational time in with Searcy.  Adams will continue getting 98%+/gm (That's a 1/2)

-Ian Thomas will be our TE2.  Our TE2 averages 50-60% of our snaps/gm.  Basically a starter.  

The rest are crapshoot/maybe they'll get playing time. So the answer rounds out to around 3 or 3 1/2.  

23 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Just to play devils advocate would People feel different if we had drafted Isiah Oliver?  If so that is odd because the two of them were ranked pretty close depending on which site you looked at and often Jackson was higher.

Any TE we would have drafted would have been a TE 2. 

How many safeties after pick 85 would be automatic starters?  And don’t say Harrison, if teams knew he was an automatic starter he wouldn’t have lasted to where he did.

Exactly this. Jeremy is just getting the crowd going. If you watch the press conferences with Rivera and Hurney, and even the calls they make to these guys, they are explicitly talking about having those opportunities to start early.

Moore is starting,

Jackson is starting at nickel at the worst (compete for outside job, maybe go outside vs games like the buc to follow Desean)

Gaulden was a baller at Tennessee. Showed really well man-man. He is definitely going to push Searcy/Adams. Coach talked a lot about being able to match TE's.

Thomas: Development, but starting #2.

Not a big fan of all the picks..Not because I hate the players.. But being honest I like other at the same position.. But looking at this realistically.. We got 2 for sure .. Moore will be 2nd or 3rd WR day one... And in today football Nickles cb play a lot of snaps.. So Jackson is a starter day one... If we don't sign another Safety Gauldin will start because Sercey is a backup anyway... What will make this draft a total A+ is if Ian beats Manhertz for 2nd TE.. If you know Norv we will run some 2 TE sets.  And Harrison earns situational pass Rush snaps.  

2 hours ago, bewonee said:

Unless we sign a safety Gaulden will start FS. Moore obviously.

We’re talking about Rivera here. He’ll play his vets at safety. It’ll be Searcy and Adams as our starting safeties. Once again, our LBs will be faster (and better in coverage) than our safeties.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We’re talking about Rivera here. He’ll play his vets at safety. It’ll be Searcy and Adams as our starting safeties. Once again, our LBs will be faster (and better in coverage) than our safeties.

I gotta disagree.. Unless we sign another safety .  Gauldin will be the fastest safety and only true FS on the roster.. And All Hurney and Rivera interview is about getting speed..  Gauldin will start imo.. Plus something about his attitude and personality I see from his interview and highlight film says he is coming in to start at all cost.. Which I like..

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

I gotta disagree.. Unless we sign another safety .  Gauldin will be the fastest safety and only true FS on the roster.. And All Hurney and Rivera interview is about getting speed..  Gauldin will start imo..

4.61 will be our fastest safety... yikes.

A converted college nickelback will be our only true FS on the roster... holy poo

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

A converted college nickelback will be our only true FS on the roster... holy poo

Let's be honest.  I don't know what happen at the combine.  But if you look at his highlight film.. I can truly say he looks faster on the field than he does in shorts... Don't know what happen in the 40 but just like Funch he is faster than that run at the combine. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

JR and his lap dog Hurney can’t be shown the door quick enough 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'd be pleasantly shocked if Gaulden starts at all this year.

Gaulden is a project if for no other reason than he’s not supplanting Searcy. Da’Norris has been a really good RR type safety for years. I don’t get the hate though? Is it just bc he ended up going before Harrison? 

I think Jackson could supplant Cockrell depending on the situation. I think he sees a lot of time week 1 against Dallas as they just traded for Tavon Austin. We got faster sideline to sideline after this draft. 

Archived