• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney's Gaulden comment

Jeremy Igo

15 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think this is a valid statement.  But I would like to do a bit of devil advocating  

That said, we all make it sound like Hurney is sitting in a room looking at YouTube videos and then picking a guy.  NFL teams employ scouts who evaluate talent and they come up with a list.  It’s ultimately Hurney’s decision but to brush all that work aside is short sighted.

I wonder if Hurney has self reflected and realized the same thing as you did? Maybe these picks are more due to him trusting the process and relying on his scouts and valuing their input. 

Just a crazy idea   I know it goes against the narrative but figured I would throw this out there   

Definitely a counterpoint. I just think back to the things I’ve heard about scouts having to talk him down off of certain players, and I’m more worried about his influence in the war room after round 1. I’m thinking he has final veto on the pick, especially with JR out of the way. With regard to talent evals, I believe Hurney excels when given 32-40 top players and has to fill our immediate or most pressing need. It’s as the draft gets deeper and talent/fit is harder to identify that I lose trust in his decision making. 

FWIW, I don’t classify myself as a Hurney hater and GM’s just aren’t going to nail it every time. I just feel there is someone out there that’s a better candidate to manage all aspects of this franchise, particularly drafting after the first round and giving out contracts to vets. Hopefully, ‘ol Hurndog will prove me wrong in rounds 4-7 today. 

Archived