• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney's Gaulden comment

Jeremy Igo

"Now Rashaan Gaulden, who played a lot of nickel at Tennessee, will most likely go back and start at safety."

Does Hurney mean Gaulden will begin his career with the Panthers as a safety or that Gaulden will start for the Panthers at safety? 

If it means Gaulden is a starter, that is a very very hopeful comment. He doesn't exactly have the speed to compensate for any mental errors or technical mistakes. Week two is against Matt Ryan in Atlanta. We are going to have a rookie nickel converted to safety up against that?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

"Now Rashaan Gaulden, who played a lot of nickel at Tennessee, will most likely go back and start at safety."

Does Hurney mean Gaulden will begin his career with the Panthers as a safety or that Gaulden will start for the Panthers at safety? 

If it means Gaulden is a starter, that is a very very hopeful comment. He doesn't exactly have the speed to compensate for any mental errors or technical mistakes. Week two is against Matt Ryan in Atlanta. We are going to have a rookie nickel converted to safety up against that?

Vets like Searcy and Adams in the mix I don’t see him starting unless he takes it from them. RR has always liked experience over talent in his safeties.

A lot of you guys are missing a huge point about where the NFL is headed.

No longer is the 4-3 your base package. In reality your nickel package is your base. And with more and more athletic TE's playing the slot WR spot, you can no longer really on players like Captain Munnerlyn to be your only NB. 

Enter the Honey Badger role. A safety/nickel hybrid that is built to cover big players in the slot. They can drop back into a free range safety role, or jam a TE at the line on a crucial third down. 

The overall point is that offenses (much like ours did last year) are moving towards versatility. Defenses will have to adapt by adding versatile players. We started that process with drafting Shaq.  

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

4.61 is fine for a free safety, stop complaining. 

4 hours ago, Panthers Fanatic said:

As much as Hurney is good in certain areas of being a GM (relationships, accessibility, etc.), talent evaluation is never going to be among them. A former beat writer can evaluate NFL talent just as good or bad as the rest of us.

I think this is a valid statement.  But I would like to do a bit of devil advocating  

That said, we all make it sound like Hurney is sitting in a room looking at YouTube videos and then picking a guy.  NFL teams employ scouts who evaluate talent and they come up with a list.  It’s ultimately Hurney’s decision but to brush all that work aside is short sighted.

I wonder if Hurney has self reflected and realized the same thing as you did? Maybe these picks are more due to him trusting the process and relying on his scouts and valuing their input. 

Just a crazy idea   I know it goes against the narrative but figured I would throw this out there   

20 minutes ago, Rick Grimes said:

I still don’t see the value over a guy like Ronnie Harrison who’s as still available.

Coverage versatility our guy is excellent at coverage Ronnie is a in the box run stuffer not needed in Carolina 

Archived