• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select Donte Jackson - CB - LSU

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Panthers8969 said:

Pat Pete 220, Sherman 194, Revis was 200. Not sure if the “average nfl cb weighs 180” argument in this thread is true or not, but I’ve yet to see an elite cb weigh that little 

I'd say average is around 200. You'd like to see him add at least 10 pounds, which I don't think is crazy. 

Darrelle Revis  is only 5'11. Aeneas Williams is only 5'11.

I swear this "we need a big body lengthy corner" poo didn't start on the huddle until Richard Sherman had success in Seattle and they luckily got the best of Panthers a few times.LOL

They are needed no doubt but people act like its impossible for an Elite 5'11 corner to shutdown a Randy moss/Jerry rice/Calvin Johnson.

50 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

I'd say average is around 200. You'd like to see him add at least 10 pounds, which I don't think is crazy. 

I would guess around 200 as well and agree that it’d be nice to see him add 10ish pounds of muscle. Easier said then done though

It’s been said already in this thread,  but the concern is that he will be outmuscled. His speed covering deep runners is something we clearly didn’t have so I can get on board with that.

It’s another signing that indites Gettleman pickups last year. Spending a 2nd on a position which saw recent investment clearly insinuates that corn and Captain signings were failures.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:12 PM, Panthers8969 said:

Pat Pete 220, Sherman 194, Revis was 200. Not sure if the “average nfl cb weighs 180” argument in this thread is true or not, but I’ve yet to see an elite cb weigh that little 

The aforementioned Darrell Green. Jason Verrett was damned good before he tore his ACL. I'm sure there have been others.

I’m more worried about his length. His arms are really short. Less than thirty inches. I’ve been on google looking up measurables for every elite corner I can find, and almost all of them have arm lengths of thirty-one inches plus. I haven’t been able to find a single exception where a corner had an arm length less than thirty inches and made a pro bowl. Marshon Lattimore (31 inches), Chris Harris Jr (33 inches), Alterraun Verner (31 inches), can’t find measurements for Casey Hayward... Normally, I’m not huge on measurables. Game tape should mean more (but it’s not like he came up with a lot of interceptions). I’m not super worried about his weight. He could put on ten pounds of muscle, I think, without sacrificing his speed.

I love his speed. Donte’s a blazer. His ten yard split was poor considering he ran a 4.32. If he works on his get off, then he’s easily a 4.2 guy. He ran the same 40 as Denzel Ward, but Ward’s ten yard split was 1.47 to Donte’s 1.55, which means that Donte was booking it the last thirty yards (after he reached full speed). There won’t be a receiver in the league that can outrun him.

That said, arm length of thirty-one plus seems to be a rule, and I’m hoping Donte will be the exception. On a related note, Ross Cockrell has arms that measure less than thirty inches, but I think Corn has enough length (31 1/4) that he may end up being competition for Cockrell on the boundary. 

1 hour ago, mrknowitall said:

I’m more worried about his length. His arms are really short. Less than thirty inches. I’ve been on google looking up measurables for every elite corner I can find, and almost all of them have arm lengths of thirty-one inches plus. I haven’t been able to find a single exception where a corner had an arm length less than thirty inches and made a pro bowl. Marshon Lattimore (31 inches), Chris Harris Jr (33 inches), Alterraun Verner (31 inches), can’t find measurements for Casey Hayward... Normally, I’m not huge on measurables. Game tape should mean more (but it’s not like he came up with a lot of interceptions). I’m not super worried about his weight. He could put on ten pounds of muscle, I think, without sacrificing his speed.

I love his speed. Donte’s a blazer. His ten yard split was poor considering he ran a 4.32. If he works on his get off, then he’s easily a 4.2 guy. He ran the same 40 as Denzel Ward, but Ward’s ten yard split was 1.47 to Donte’s 1.55, which means that Donte was booking it the last thirty yards (after he reached full speed). There won’t be a receiver in the league that can outrun him.

That said, arm length of thirty-one plus seems to be a rule, and I’m hoping Donte will be the exception. On a related note, Ross Cockrell has arms that measure less than thirty inches, but I think Corn has enough length (31 1/4) that he may end up being competition for Cockrell on the boundary. 

Great post. Essentially what I believe will ultimately prevent Jackson from being that transcendent talent we'd all hope. 

Blazing speed, but damn if he had Norman's measurable. Holy poo.

I truly believe fierceness, heart, and a little bit of crazy makes up for some of the shortcomings that the common 'elite' players have. 

Josh Norman was slow, but he stretched his whole body out there to block the ball. Not all players sacrifice like that. 

Steve Smith didn't have the measurables the elites did, but he was cocky as no other. 'I should've at least been a second rounder.' You saw this relayed in his game. 

Donte Jackson may be small, but he is showing his confidence and willingness to throw it all out there. He's on top of his target, regardless of their size. And when the balls up, he's going to get to it, no matter what. I think he will turn out to be special. 

Archived