• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select Donte Jackson - CB - LSU

Jeremy Igo

I mean after watching the Saints burn the Panthers down the seams over and over last season, I can't see how this is a bad pick. Jackson is going to line up against the fastest dude on the opposing team's offense and for once the Panthers have a guy who can actually keep up.

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Dont have a problem with being small some of the best corners in the league are small. Those same guys use to shut KB down before he left. Size is not a issue as people think. 

5' 11" isn't small for an NFL CB. It's the average height in the league for the position. He's a little lighter than average but that shouldn't be as much of an issue. He should be able to put on a few pounds of muscle. 

10 hours ago, Snake said:

Oliver seemed to have tight hips at times. He also just used his size to bully less talented WRs. Those things won't translate into the NFL well. Jackson has good instincts and is extremely fluid. His closing speed on the ball reminds me of a young PP. Not as talented as PP but in a year or two if he studies the game he's going to get a bunch of picks from baiting QB's. 

Jackson isn't a natural catcher of the ball like Peterson was. He really struggles catching. Tiny hands. Short arms as well, which I think will limit him when bigger receivers move into the slot. 

He's got a lot to learn as far as technique as well. Jackson isn't some highly refined prospect. He's got some tools to make him a very good nickel. He's got limitations as well. But he's one of the hardest workers you'll come across. If I had to bet on him, I would.

Based on what the team has actually said about him, we're gonna start seeing a lot more man coverage. This gives Jackson the ability to move around the field outside and inside, shadowing guys like Ginn, Jackson, and Ridley. Bradberry/Cockrell is gonna be the one going toe to toe against Thomas, Evans, and Jones.

We're reorganizing the team to beat our division again after previously looking outward at the Pats' and Seahawks' styles.

This guy has fire, I think we're gonna love seeing him contesting the deep bombs that in the past we've all held our breath for. 

I like seeing the plan unfold and I like seeing us look at our positions and players as not necessarily having to fit one across the board mold at the position (ie. only big tall WRs and CBs). We've got a variety of shapes and sizes now and we're better suited to attack the versatility of the offenses we face and we're gonna be able to draw more favorable match ups in more situations.

Solid pick, we all know Hurney loves speed and he's gotten plenty of it lately.

I don't project Jackson to be a transcendent at the CB position, but imho that's fine. A solid #2/dominant nickel is just a good.

Now the next guy...Hurney gon' have to explain that shite

2 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

Jackson isn't a natural catcher of the ball like Peterson was. He really struggles catching. Tiny hands. Short arms as well, which I think will limit him when bigger receivers move into the slot. 

He's got a lot to learn as far as technique as well. Jackson isn't some highly refined prospect. He's got some tools to make him a very good nickel. He's got limitations as well. But he's one of the hardest workers you'll come across. If I had to bet on him, I would.

Lol I can't wait till he picks off mole face and takes it to the house. I also said he wasn't as refined as PP. He does stay in the hip pocket and uses his body and speed to create leverage. Will he be able to stop JJ in the slot on a island no. But not many CBs can do that. He plays much bigger than he is and once the game slows down for him that speed and smooth hips could make him a force. 

I will add this two. He's going to have to put on at least 30 lbs to really not get abused on the outside. But at 5'11" he can move up to 180 easily and still be extremely fast. 

9 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I'm just glad we finally have a talented corner with some speed. We've been getting absolutely destroyed by speedy wideouts for way too long.

There are some selective memories around here. I can still picture Ted Ginn torching our defensive backfield in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

But the fluidity in his hips are phenomenal. There is so much to like about this guy. One thing I really love is the swagger, confidence, and aggressive nature he plays with. I guarnetee you he starts on the outside and plays the nickel in some packages. Hands are overrated, as long as the ball is broken up, dealing with a few drops don't worry me. He'll be great. This draft will go down as one of the best we've had. That fourth round pick for TE from Indiana will be our biggest steal from the draft. If he had more games played he would easily be a mid second rounder or higher. Athletic, can stretch the field, has phenomenal hands, makes plays on the ball, big, decent speed, and a great dip in the body for blocking. What a great pick

Archived