• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select Donte Jackson - CB - LSU

Jeremy Igo

Christ this place is ridiculous.  Everybody complaining about his size probably poo their pants when we drafted Smitty back in the day.  There's been plenty of "small" players in the NFL having good careers.  And I'm not even saying this guy will but let's let it play out before slitting our wrists.

For those of you who think Jackson was a reach at 55 read what Bob McGinn wrote about him:

DONTE JACKSON *, CB, Louisiana State: 5-10 ½, 178. Third-year junior ran a blazing 4.32 at the combine. “If he had size he’d be a top-5 pick,” said one scout. “He reminded me of Philip Buchanon. He’s got that size and quickness. Strong for his size. Good tackler. Excellent one-on-one cover ability. Has problems against tall receivers. I think you stick him in the slot.” Bench-pressed just seven times. Played outside and in the slot for LSU. “He could be top 30 or 40,” a second scout said.

2 minutes ago, stankowalski said:

Christ this place is ridiculous.  Everybody complaining about his size probably poo their pants when we drafted Smitty back in the day.  There's been plenty of "small" players in the NFL having good careers.  And I'm not even saying this guy will but let's let it play out before slitting our wrists.

he's the same height as jaire alexander and about 12lbs lighter. jaire went at 12.

he can easily add 10-12lbs before the season starts.

10 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Better comparison is Janoris Jenkins who is a little bigger than Jackson. Again I liked Oliver who I thought was our next Josh Norman but I understand what Hurney is doing. We don't have any corner with the speed of Jackson.

Honestly his size is fine, people just had their hearts set on someone else. He's easily the most athletic corner on the roster, but undisciplined. I see the concern about that. 

Chris Harris Jr was an UFA at 5’11” listed at 180 but prob 175 coming out of KU. Walterfootball rated him as the 44th corner. 

Sometimes you just can’t talk with these guys and swagger/desire to be the best drives them to be great players. Who knows if guys like Oliver, Reid have that. Jackson seems to...

Archived