• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Receivers - 5 are already locks I think ...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

If Torrey Smith isn't notably better than young talent, he's the guy you cut.

Mainly because you can cut him and it won't cost you a dime in dead money and you'll get 100% savings of his $5M salary toward the cap.  "Leadership" (which I think Funch is now perfectly prepared to do along with Wright) isn't worth $5M.  He either shows out in pre-season and proves to be of value or you cut him.

Why would you cut  experienced receivers? Is it so that at the end of the year you can complain about the team when you are needing to start practice squad players due to injury?

5 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Why would you cut  experienced receivers? Is it so that at the end of the year you can complain about the team when you are needing to start practice squad players due to injury?

Here's Smith's last 3 years:

33 receptions

20 receptions

36 receptions

Jarius Wright is an experienced receiver.  Devin Funchess is entering his 4th season and is an experienced receiver.

And, no, I won't complain at the end of the season if we cut a 30 catch per year WR in the preseason and save $5M in cap space in doing so.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Probably more like...

X- Funchess

Y- Wright, Samuel

Z- Smith, Moore

Moore can backup Fun too.  Byrd can be thrown in at the Y or Z.

I don't see us expending 1st round capital on offense to watch from the bench.

But you make a good point, our head coach is Ron Rivera and he always tends to choose the washed up vet over the exciting talented rookie.

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

I don't see us expending 1st round capital on offense to watch from the bench.

But you make a good point, our head coach is Ron Rivera and he always tends to choose the washed up vet over the exciting talented rookie.

Yeah Smith and Wright are both stop gaps but I can guarantee that Moore will have to take the position from the vet.  I think he will, but Smith will have the leg up going in.

3 hours ago, mrknowitall said:

I hope Wright isn’t a lock because he got 2 mil at signing. That’s a sunk cost. Now if he’s one of the five best receivers on the roster, great.

I think veteran leadership could make Torrey Smith a lock (and I guess Wright could fall into that category), but personally I want us to keep the best players. And honestly, Ron worries me because I don’t think he statistically gives the potentially best players enough chance to compete for spots. 

Yeah, I thought "dumb move" when I heard about the signing bonus. I thought it was totally unnecessary then, and I still believe it now. That being said, it's only two mil. But, it's still two mil wasted in my opinion.

I guess that it was Samuel insurance, but I think we could have signed Wright without it.

Ron will ultimately defer to his new deputy.  Ironically, I think Norv is the only reason we have Wright. But Norv isn't going to sit a better guy.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

If Torrey Smith isn't notably better than young talent, he's the guy you cut.

Mainly because you can cut him and it won't cost you a dime in dead money and you'll get 100% savings of his $5M salary toward the cap.  "Leadership" (which I think Funch is now perfectly prepared to do along with Wright) isn't worth $5M.  He either shows out in pre-season and proves to be of value or you cut him.

You don't cut the only true vet receiver that can do it all. 

His leadership for the group is valuable. He can also see a resurgence. 

Byrd would be cut before Smith.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Some say Torrey Smith is not a lock. I don't think so. He is the only other receiver besides Funchess on the list above that is at least six foot tall.

Hurney doesn't care as much about height in receivers.  He tends to prefer smaller, faster guys.

Norv Turner, on the other hand, likes big tall pass catchers.

I'd like to think what Norv wants takes precedence, but we'll see.

17 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

You don't cut the only true vet receiver that can do it all. 

If you're only catching 30 passes a year, you ain't "doing it all".

Funch and Wright are vets.  And "leaders" aren't playing for their 4th team in 5 years.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Oh please, Wright didn’t even get meaniful snaps last season, and Romo maybe called 2 Vikings games all season. He’s been in the league for years and has never even broke the 500 yard marker.

Go ask Vikings fans how valuable Wright was on third down. 

This team needs a reliable set of hands for those third and seven plays. Wright gives them that. 

17 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

If you're only catching 30 passes a year, you ain't "doing it all".

Funch and Wright are vets.  And "leaders" aren't playing for their 4th team in 5 years.

You've made your disdain for Smith abundantly clear without needing to respond to my post. 

You will most definitely be disappointed that Smith will be on the roster this year.

Looking back on last year guys like Funchess, Samuel and Byrd may rue their injuries and Shepherds chance has already gone imo. Maybe through no fault of their own, but it was a golden opportunity for all of them to break out. The NFL is a now league and the team can’t wait for ever. I think notice of this was served with the drafting of Moore despite the fact that we have loads  of (albeit unproven) receivers.

Archived