• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade up for a Safety in round 2?

Jeremy Igo

Thankfully all the positions that are most glaring for us, this is a strong draft for (CB) or is a position that it's easy to find outside of the first with a competent (lol) GM (RB, OG) . I think we got lucky with Moore falling cuz he had "drafted higher than expected" written all over him..

3 minutes ago, bull123 said:

did you see that OL last night from N dame that the colts took?....i want somebody like him

Hernandez (UTEP), Williams (Texas), Smith (Auburn), and Daniels (Iowa... and he's smaller than the others and his future is probably at center which wouldn't be a bad thing for us at all) fits that bill, I think.  Any interior OL after that I'm not so sure is worth a 2nd round pick.

I could see us moving into the Top 10 of the round for one of these guys.

• Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa
  • Connor Williams, OT, Texas
  • Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
  • Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
  • Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
  • Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
  • Justin Reid, S, Stanford
  • Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I feel like it in inevitable at this point. Do you think Hurndog will satisfy his trade fix with a move to grab Reid or Harrison? 

I hope not.  Enough good players at positions of need to stay put.

Also I would prefer a dime and a nickel over 12 cents.

21 minutes ago, trueblade said:

giphy.gif

Because?

You must be a delight at parties.

If we take a lesser CB in round 1 next year isn’t it better to get a better player a year early and have the position solved? I mean if you don’t like him fine but explain. Gif responses are so weak.

4 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Because?

You must be a delight at parties.

If we take a lesser CB in round 1 next year isn’t it better to get a better player a year early and have the position solved? I mean if you don’t like him fine but explain. Gif responses are so weak.

To trade a future 1st round pick requires an extraordinary set of circumstances. You have no idea how the season will progress and what that first round pick will potentially turn into. You're giving up an impact player on a 5 year contract for what you hope is good player on a 4 year contract. We're not one player away and have multiple holes we need to fill with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Marty's previous tenure had far more misses than hits in the 2nd round. Trading future 1st round picks was part of the problem during Hurney's original tenure.

I'm not opposed to trading up, but I'd prefer the Panthers use other resources. Teams like the Saints, Seahawks, Patriots, and Chiefs can find starters and even Pro Bowlers in rounds 2 and 3. It's time our scouts and General Manager learn to do the same.

I try to communicate in the best way possible. Sometimes a GIF response can say more than 500 words. 

41 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Would you use next years first if you could get Josh Jackson. Considering that he is first round caliber at a position of need? Thus keeping all of this year’s picks.

Absolutely not. You do not trade a future 1 to move up in the 2nd round. We've already seen that happen with Everette Brown in 2009. 

41 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

If we're gonna expend draft capital, why not trade up and get another weapon for Cam with Dallas Goedert?

I fondly remember the success of the 2-TE sets back in 2011.  And you've also added speed on the edge with Moore.  And Norv is calling the plays instead of Shula?

Hell, Ron might finally want to score TDs instead of FGs with that kind of talent infusion into the offense.

Mark Andrews in 2nd would be just as good if not better. He cant hold blocks as much(neither can Goedert) but he can sale a block" then get free release up the middle of the seam.

So the LB or SS thinks he about to block basically and rushes the passer when he goes up the seam and bam he's wide open for 15-20 yard game.

Two tight-end sets are way more effective if the defense respect you as a legit blocker or "extra oline-men".

0:48

If we give up our second 3rd rounder, and our current second at 55, how far can we move up? There are currently 3 2nd round safeties available... Reid Harrison and Bates in no particular order. I would prefer the centerfielder type with Reid or Bates. I also like Elliot from Texas, and the kid from Penn St. I really want a DE and RB in 3rd with a S in the second. 

Archived