• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many starters MUST the Panthers get from this draft?

Jeremy Igo

11 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

In your opinion how many year 1 starters MUST the Carolina Panthers get from this NFL draft? 

Feels like two for me, considering how lacking in talent they are at so many positions. Will be difficult to find free agents who would do any better than a high round rookie. Easiest for rookies to start in this squad? Safety, CB, WR, LG.  As such, I am willing to bet the first three picks will be in these categories. 

You already know the answer to that question igo. You know how thin we are.

Honestly we may find none and still have a good draft if they contribute and play for us. Most of the positions you named are not plug and play positions. WR in any other round but the first is hardly a given they start year one. Did you read where Adams said this defense was not easy to learn for a DB? So how easy will it be for a rookie to pick up and start when it took a former probowl player the whole year 1 to learn by his own admission. The best chance we have for a starter is at guard or running back. Truth is our starting 22 are pretty solid this year. I see depth issues but really like our starters.

In terms of need, not draft round related, I see 4:

1. Flex Safety (Box or Centerfield) - We need a safety.  Either type fits the bill or a flex which we tend to prefer.  

2. LG

3. Split-End WR - BIG need for a Norv offense, I don't trust Smith or Samuel as much as I want them to work out.  Wright is our slot, Funchess is our flanker. 

4. TE2 - Not always a starter but will be in 40% of our snaps/game at the least.  We need an impact here.    

--

-CB is start-able with Bradberry-Cockrell-Munnerlynn (Elder is basically an extra draft pick)

-DE is start-able with essentially another draft pick in Hall.  

-RB is workable with CMC and CAP.  You see what other teams randomly trot out to success, I think we're fine.  The run blocking is the important thing.  

I’d be more than happy with one decade long starter/all star caliber player (safety or center potentially).

One solid starter (cb or te).

One very good depth.

One prospect that’s really raw with an incredible ceiling. 

Lets make it happen boys!

10 hours ago, The Lobo said:

I think 2 is the magic number and both coming from the defensive backfield. On CB and one S would really be ideal. I know we need weapons for cam but we could add a TE or a Wr/rb for one of our picks in the third.

This about sums it up for me. We need a serious upgrade in athleticism in coverage. 

If we can pull something like

1.24- Jackson/Alexander CB-No reason to believe either shouldn’t start day one. I like Cockrell, but these two have the potential to be special. 

2.56- Reid/Bates- Let Adams/Searcy battle for SS. Need an athletic FS. Would start immediately and improve coverage. 

3.85 Royce Freeman- Don’t know who would fall, so Freeman could be any guy who falls. But he would be a logical back to get 150-200 carries. Many RBs would and being starter would be irrelevant with that many touches.

3.88- best WR/TE available. Really warming to Ian Thomas but doubt he lasts this long now. Gallup probably a pipe dream too. 

Secondary is a huge upgrade. And Cam gets a couple weapons. 

Archived