• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many starters MUST the Panthers get from this draft?

Jeremy Igo

In your opinion how many year 1 starters MUST the Carolina Panthers get from this NFL draft? 

Feels like two for me, considering how lacking in talent they are at so many positions. Will be difficult to find free agents who would do any better than a high round rookie. Easiest for rookies to start in this squad? Safety, CB, WR, LG.  As such, I am willing to bet the first three picks will be in these categories. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

In your opinion how many year 1 starters MUST the Carolina Panthers get from this NFL draft? 

Feels like two for me, considering how lacking in talent they are at so many positions. Will be difficult to find free agents who would do any better than a high round rookie. Easiest for rookies to start in this squad? Safety, CB, WR, LG.  As such, I am willing to bet the first three picks will be in these categories. 

Yep I'm thinking 2 or 3. After round 1 I'm worried about our picks though.

I agree, if we can get 2 I’d say we are playoff bound for sure this year.  I’m willing to go out on a limb and say DB rd 1, OL rd 2 and then we go skill position on offense with both of our 3rd, rb/wr.

only thing that I think may change any of this, is if we get someone good that falls into our lap, like Star did a few years ago. 

Also it is of my opinion that any time you can get the best player at their prospective position in the draft it’s a good pick.  Examples of picks like this in the past were R.Kalil, Luke and of course Cam.

you need a plan when going into the draft, but also a plan you’re willing to adjust.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I also think the guy we draft for guard will either be a T/G type or a C/G type. 

Connor Williams, Isaiah Winn, and Billy Price. With the Kalil bros. on the way out and Daryl coming up for contract we could spend two early picks on OL and I wouldn't be mad. 

Two feels like the right number BUT I don't really believe you can think of it that way. If we take Ridley, Hurst, Chubb and Bates in the first 3 rounds there is a chance none would start this year but that doesn't mean they would be bad picks.  I would hope Ridley and Bates would start at some point this season but you know how Rivera is and it could be year 2 before they start.

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If we go CB, S, C/G with 3 of our 4 (day one day two) picks we'll end up with three starters.   If we select a TE in round 2 or 3 that TE could take the starting role as TE2.  

I think any WR outside of round one will not be ready to start unless a real good one falls into round 2. 

My only issue is that RR is such a vet guy that he might overlook a better talented rookie for a veteran.

Archived