• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Windows 7...

Zod

Just watch Dealzmodo until you see one you really want. At this point I would suggest waiting until Black Friday to pick one up.

http://gizmodo.com/tag/dealzmodo/

For instance, they have one on there right now that has the following: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz; 8GB RAM; 640GB HDD; Blu-Ray reader & DVD burner combo; Vista Home Premium; NVIDIA GeForce 9300GE; 1yr warranty, for $649 shipped (regulary $999). Then go to www.Win741.com and get the Windows 7 upgrade for $30.

I got an HP desktop and put my own video card in it, and maxxed out the RAM.

I get good HP driver support for the basics, and can keep tabs on my video card software easily - when i build my own it's all over the place.

I used to build my own but in the end I never saved enough to make it worth the days of research, purchasing, and building/installing to make it worthwile other then as an engineering exercise.

I got an HP desktop and put my own video card in it, and maxxed out the RAM.

I get good HP driver support for the basics, and can keep tabs on my video card software easily - when i build my own it's all over the place.

I used to build my own but in the end I never saved enough to make it worth the days of research, purchasing, and building/installing to make it worthwile other then as an engineering exercise.

Depends on how you classify the money you're saving. If you took a custom built PC and compared it to a comparable Dell or HP, I think you'd fine that the specs may be the same, but the parts are a whole different story. Those big companies sub out for the cheapest parts possible and they simply don't last as long as a computer that has higher end parts installed.

Just my personal opinion at any rate.

Keep in mind that this is my work machine, so a significant decrease in processing time = real money to me. I don't want to wait until black friday when I have a backlog of workflows to get through.

I am thinking of custom ordering from hp.com. i7 processor, 12 gigs ram, 1 gig video card with 2 dvi connections.

Archived