• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Up

ericr0319

If this was Gettleman we would come out of this draft with no more than 5 picks.  But Hurney, idk.  He use to like to trade up and down and all over the place but maybe that has changed.  The only way I could see us trading up is if a guy like James fell close to 20.  Otherwise the talent from about 20 to maybe the mid 60's or early 70's is not much different.  Why trade up if you can get a guy just as good 10 picks later.

1 hour ago, ChibCU said:

But there are impact players present in the third round.

Alvin Kamara's destruction of our defense is testament to that.

I agree in that if there is a trade, it should be down and not up, but you can't go into a draft with that philosophy. Hind sight will always show sleepers picked in later rounds. If you go by that, then every QB should be picked first, because Tom Brady.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I can’t recall but there were some other good trade ups Hurney did, but like most of his drafting, everything got worse in his last 4-5 years unless he was picking 1st or 9th overall which is a bit easier.

That said, I’m all in favor of trading up in the 2nd. Here’s my caveat. I’d like to use our Norwell comp and god forbid DA signs somewhere or Charles Johnson (WR) counts enough our Dickson comp as well as bait. If we do in fact get 2 comp picks of a 3rd and 6th next year, use those and still have a full compliment of picks next year. If we had a 4th, I’d use one of the thirds this year. 

All that said, I do think around late 40s there is going to be a talent drop so I wouldn’t mind using the comp picks to try and move up say 10 picks and still have 85 and 88. 

I think we should trade back (unless a stud falls to 24) in the first 4-6 spots, then use the pick to trade up in the second.  2 impact players.

Archived