• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Hughes

ericr0319

4 hours ago, ChapelThrill23 said:

Not arrested but he did get kicked out.. And what he was accused of was bad, but charges were never pursued.

we have lost several good players  because of accusation but no conviction...one of the best Rb we ever had was booted after a false allegation...he ended up at Gardner Webb and a decent nfl career...

10 hours ago, trueblade said:

If he's listed at 5'10", he's probably even shorter. Now you're gonna match him up against Mike Evans (6'5"), Michael Thomas (6'3"), and Julio (6'3")

giphy.gif

He was listed at 5'11" by UCF. He truly measured 5'10" at the NFL Combine.

But largely, I agree with your premise. The vast majority of the better outside CBs in the NFL 6' or better. 6'0" - 6'2" seems to be the sweet spot. Shorter and it's hard to match up with the big receivers in today's NFL. Taller and it's hard to have the hip swivel and quickness to mirror receivers. A lot of teams are likely going to automatically pigeonhole Hughes a nickelback based on his height alone.

About  CB size--my philosophy

Not as big a deal in pass coverage as it is in the tackling game.  Often the CBs have outside run contain. We like tackling CBs.  But in a passing offense, the smaller CBs are usually faster and, more importantly, quicker-they change direction faster.  Personally, I would rather have 5-10 in the WRs pocket than 6-1 a step behind.  3 inches is less of a detriment than 3 feet.

Then some say, "But in the red zone.." Good point--speed is not an issue in the red zone but tackling and size are--that is where I suggest possibly substituting taller CBs and Safeties for short CBs playing on the outside.

For example, one of our best CBs was Tyrone Poole (He is 46 now--jeez).  He was 5-8.  Eric Davis was 5-11.  I know that  many of you are thinking, "Today's WRs are bigger now," and "What exactly is in that black line in my shrimp?" but my theory is this--why make your CBs bigger and more cumbersome because the WRs are?  If they want to get bigger with longer strides, let the smaller, quick CBs keep them covered.

About Hughes--all I needed to know about him was watching the Combine and Deon Sanders gave him a huge compliment.  Something like, "That is a player right there..."

16 hours ago, Bj-Monster23 said:

Jaire Alexander, Mike Huges, and Isiah Oliver should all be in consideration at 24. This is one of the best CB class I have seen in a while. 

It really is--considering that we have bigger needs (arguably) this is why I suggest we wait.  Carlton Davis from Auburn, for example, would be a nice pick in the second round. Holten Hill from Texas is 6-2 and would be there in the third (maybe).  Isaac Yiadom is my sleeper pick, a 6-1 CB from Boston College.

There will be value in the fifth and sixth rounds as well. 

I think we must address S, WR, and maybe TE & RB early.

Archived