• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pretty boneheaded play there by the Angels.

TheSaint

They haven't won since 2000....lol at that being an insult

Let's see, 200 million a year for eight years....one billion six hundred million spent without a title? Are we supposed to be impressed that A-Rod is finally delivering? He makes more than the Royals whole roster.

The Yankees/Red Sox **** measuring contest every winter is killing baseball. The NFL did something about it when the Niners and Cowboys were doing the same thing in the early 90s. Otherwise you'd see Manning and Polamalu in a Cowboys uniform and Brady and Beason playing for SF.

Let's see, 200 million a year for eight years....one billion six hundred million spent without a title? Are we supposed to be impressed that A-Rod is finally delivering? He makes more than the Royals whole roster.

The Yankees/Red Sox **** measuring contest every winter is killing baseball. The NFL did something about it when the Niners and Cowboys were doing the same thing in the early 90s. Otherwise you'd see Manning and Polamalu in a Cowboys uniform and Brady and Beason playing for SF.

I've heard this argument before, but is it really? I mean, it's not like other teams aren't winning the World Series. This decade, the Yanks have won once and the Sox have won twice--not exactly the way it was in the '50s.

I've heard this argument before, but is it really? I mean, it's not like other teams aren't winning the World Series. This decade, the Yanks have won once and the Sox have won twice--not exactly the way it was in the '50s.

It's not so much that the Yankees and Red Sox are winning it every year, it's what they're doing to the smaller market teams. Milwaukee traded away very good young players for CC Sabathia. They had him for what....three months before the Yankees swoop in with 20 mill a year.

Here are smaller market teams that used to be successful more often than not that no longer can compete because the Yankees and Red Sox have taken turns sucking up all of their most talented players....

Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Baltimore, Toronto.

Now, you have Oakland and Minnesota who often make the playoffs, but they're always missing key pieces and losing key players every year.

This past year New York signed two of the top free agent pitchers and the top position player (along with Swisher). This upcoming year it's Boston's turn. They'll probably sign a frontline starter and two or three 100-RBI guys away from smaller market teams.

If you're a fan of one of those teams, what's the problem, right? But baseball needs Milwaukee and Cincinnati and Kansas City. The league is only as strong as its weakest teams.

It's not so much that the Yankees and Red Sox are winning it every year, it's what they're doing to the smaller market teams. Milwaukee traded away very good young players for CC Sabathia. They had him for what....three months before the Yankees swoop in with 20 mill a year.

Here are smaller market teams that used to be successful more often than not that no longer can compete because the Yankees and Red Sox have taken turns sucking up all of their most talented players....

Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Baltimore, Toronto.

Now, you have Oakland and Minnesota who often make the playoffs, but they're always missing key pieces and losing key players every year.

This past year New York signed two of the top free agent pitchers and the top position player (along with Swisher). This upcoming year it's Boston's turn. They'll probably sign a frontline starter and two or three 100-RBI guys away from smaller market teams.

If you're a fan of one of those teams, what's the problem, right? But baseball needs Milwaukee and Cincinnati and Kansas City. The league is only as strong as its weakest teams.

Unfortunately for those small market teams it's not just Yankee $.

It's also location.

That being said I do believe there should be a Salary cap in baseball.

Unfortunately for those small market teams it's not just Yankee $.

It's also location.

That being said I do believe there should be a Salary cap in baseball.

There was no problem with Cincinnati's location when they had one of the best baseball lineups of all time. Milwaukee had a killer lineup in the early 80s. Kansas City had George Brett and some great players for about 10 years. Baltimore was the Braves before there was the Braves with four 20-game winners on one staff. Toronto was a great success story early on. Pittsburgh produced Hall of Fame players for years. Now they're remote outposts in the wilderness, because two teams dominate the financial landscape (one, really) while five or six rotate into the second tier below them and the rest battle over hind ***.

I don't have a problem with the Yankee teams of the late 90s...most of those players were home grown and the free agents were guys like Paul O'Neill. But then they became something else. They became the trust fund kid, as Colin Cowherd calls them. They're driving around the BMW, then crashing it and getting a new Porsche, then getting a new Mercedes. They don't have to worry about missing out on Giambi, or Pavano, and on and on. Those deals would bury other teams. Here's what really gets under my skin, though. They have a top-three shortstop in Derek Jeter, and yet they sign ARod. They sign a free agent first basemen in Swisher, and yet they sign Teixeira. It's gotten out of hand when they're paying guys 20-25 mill a year just to keep them away from the Red Sox.

Archived