• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign free agent corner Ross Crockell

Jeremy Igo

I did not like the Breeland move due to the money and everyone wondered why. THIS is the kind of signing I do like. Comparatively speaking money wise, this is much better than the Breeland signing. Still an upgrade from Worley, at less than half the price. If he doesn't work out too well no harm done.

5 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

In this Bleacher Report ranking for 2017 Worley was ranked #71 and Crockell #52.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754252-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-outside-cornerbacks-of-2017-season

In addition, according to PFF:

Worley - 89th ranked CB with a grade of 58.9 (POOR)

Cockrell - 39th ranked CB with a grade of 81.6 (ABOVE AVERAGE)

For reference:

Breeland - 54th ranked CB with a grade of 79 (AVERAGE)

Seymour - 110th ranked CB with a grade of 41.9 (POOR)

Bleacher Report rankings on outside CB's for 2017. Points awarded on coverage, reaction, recovery, and tackling. Rankings start at 76 for CB.

Worley  71

Cockrell 52

Bradberry 26

Norman 24

Breeland 21

If you buy these rankings the Breeland injury is some 'fan pain', but Cockrell's definitely an upgrade over Worley.

Panthers sign CB Ross Cockrell (2 years, $6.8 million): A Grade 
 It doesn't seem like Ross Cockrell gets the appreciation he deserves. He played very well for the Steelers, yet they shipped him off to the Giants for a seventh-round pick after signing Joe Haden. Then, the Giants barely used Cockrell until they suffered multiple injuries, and Cockrell rewarded them with quality play. 

Unlike the Steelers and Giants, I will appreciate Cockrell, as this signing is a great one. Carolina has major issues in its secondary, and Cockrell will definitely help matters. He was obtained for a very cheap price, so I'm giving this an "A" grade. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5AajCS79Z

Archived