• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers signing free agent safety for 2 years

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

He was released a couple weeks ago too so clearly comp picks are playing a factor in our recent signings. Should definitely get that 3rd for Norwell and maybe a 6th or 7th for Dickson.

Still think only the 3rd for Norwell is being protected.  But the signing does give flexibility when trying to fill the hole at CB (or maybe TE).

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

They will still be drafting a safety in rounds 1 or 2. This guys is likely depth. 

I won't be surprised if we don't.  We haven't invested much in that position in awhile, which I'm fine with, because we've done ok without spending big there.  I think Marty learned from Gettleman's patience in roster building, and safety seems to be a spot that isn't all that important in Ron's scheme, so we can afford to be more patient there.   Unless a stud falls to us in the draft, i don't see us trying too hard to find a long term answer.

24 minutes ago, jumpman910 said:

It shouldn't, Seacy has been very serviceable in the league, Boston just happened to be in the right position to get a pick for once. 

Huh it shouldn't?!?!?!? It was a funny comment that made me laugh, but we agree Boston wasn't that good definitely don't want him back Reid/Bates may be our center fielder I hope.

He was backing up Johnathan Cyprien, and actually graded better according to PFF. His range is probably average to above average, so he's not exactly poo. You guys should be happy. He was pretty solid in Buffalo.

Playing behind our line, he might just be better than you think. And, 29 isn't "geriatric" by any means.  

Guy is solid depth at the very least, and likely cheap (a good value).

Good depth signing with the ability to start if an injury occurs. I feel much better with him starting if neeed than Byrd last year. We have always went cheap with the safety position but Marty said he wanted to get faster in the secondary. We will almost certainly draft a safety in the first couple of rounds who will start, and we now have our vet backup who can be a solid starter if needed due to injuries. 

19 minutes ago, trucpfan said:

Huh it shouldn't?!?!?!? It was a funny comment that made me laugh, but we agree Boston wasn't that good definitely don't want him back Reid/Bates may be our center fielder I hope.

Could be. Marty mentioned wanting a vet safety but it needed to be “the right vet”. I believe he wants someone who is able to be a solid starter if needed, but one who can be a leader and example for our rookie that we will be drafting to learn from 

Archived