• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers signing free agent safety for 2 years

Jeremy Igo

47 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

Lol at everyone trying to be “positive” about this signing!

At least Byrd and Searcy are reunited right?

It is a positive...lol at some acting like they know anything about Searcy...a solid player who has flown under radar his whole career...

29 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

I am well aware he is just a mediocre Safety in terms of production. He hasn’t done much since leaving Buffalo and to say that he is an upgrade over Coleman isn’t true at the moment. He may resurrect his career here, but Jarius Byrd was a more exciting signing than this and we know how that played out.

Our Free agent class is “meh” at best, just like it has been for the last ten years or more. Poe was an admirable salvage signing however, we took a small step back in terms of run stopping as of now. I do feel like Poe is starting to come into his peak. I like the potential of Cockrell over Worley, but let’s not kid ourselves, if he was what some around here think he is then he would have signed for major money. We’ve added some WR depth possibly, however, we lost a Pro Bowl LG. 

Meh is an upgrade for us...this is just to stabilise,  now we can take a S in draft and not throw him to the wolves...all these signings give us the flexibility we need in the draft...this is a very good thing...oh and Searcy is better than you think...

59 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

It is a positive...lol at some acting like they know anything about Searcy...a solid player who has flown under radar his whole career...

An upgrade over Coleman? Remains to be seen, however, if he is it will only be do to being a better fit in the system. I don’t see an upgrade in athleticism or age.

1 hour ago, heel31ok said:

Solid player but not much of a upgrade over Coleman.

Searcy is a good athlete that is a much better tackler than Coleman but coverage is the same.

Good signing though.  Better than anyone else currently have.  If we get someone else in the drafr, he is good depth.  Bonus, he is a Real good special teams player

55 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

Meh is an upgrade for us...this is just to stabilise,  now we can take a S in draft and not throw him to the wolves...all these signings give us the flexibility we need in the draft...this is a very good thing...oh and Searcy is better than you think...

Meh is what we’ve been doing for the last 10+ years. That’s fine if you are getting two legit starters per year, however, we haven’t been able to achieve that consistently. 

Hey, I get the how’s and why’s that go into putting up an exceptional roster. Luck also plays a huge part. I’m just over the outlandish optimism that accompanies our bland free agency signings

2 hours ago, Gin and Juice said:

An upgrade over Coleman? Remains to be seen, however, if he is it will only be do to being a better fit in the system. I don’t see an upgrade in athleticism or age.

Athleticism in a vacuum is meaningless...a 2 yr deal for a safety who can play the position is a good and positive thing...age not a real factor right now...

LOL some of yall don't watch the Panthers safeties that much. We consistently switch who is playing in the box vs. who is playing deep. Searcy can play both positions well. I don't consider him as much of a FS as I do a strong safety in general, but that works out A ok for us. 

Good signing for depth and emergency in case we don't land a solid safety prospect this year. 

Archived