• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Willson signs with Detroit for .... 2.5 million?

Jeremy Igo

25 minutes ago, stbugs said:

This a Luke Willson thread is it not? Hunter Henry is on the Chargers and Gettleman is on the Giants. Continuing to whine about stuff is exactly my point. We could keep whining about the 2010 draft every time we talk about WRs since we passed or traded our way out of a draft which had 5 pro bowl WRs and Gronkowski and Graham at TE. Somehow we came out of it with 3 trash WRs and Clausen. I guess since we passed on Gronkowski and Graham that topic is entirely relevant since Hunter Henry is nowhere near Gronkowski or Graham so those were even bigger mistakes.

Preach!!!

They sound similar to cowboy fans who keep bringing up the past and how many rings they have lol

28 minutes ago, stbugs said:

This a Luke Willson thread is it not? Hunter Henry is on the Chargers and Gettleman is on the Giants. Continuing to whine about stuff is exactly my point. We could keep whining about the 2010 draft every time we talk about WRs since we passed or traded our way out of a draft which had 5 pro bowl WRs and Gronkowski and Graham at TE. Somehow we came out of it with 3 trash WRs and Clausen. I guess since we passed on Gronkowski and Graham that topic is entirely relevant since Hunter Henry is nowhere near Gronkowski or Graham so those were even bigger mistakes.

yes it would be better to have not drafted Jimmy clausen in 2010, you are correct. However the failures of the 2010 draft have far less to do with the current predicament the Panthers face. 

when talking about the team as its currently constituted, it is useful to contextualize the missteps that led the team we all ostensibly cheer for into this predicament. Not just so we have some common ground to talk about, but so that as fans we educate ourselves and hopefully approach things better in the future. 

the 2010 draft (one that was the result of years of mismanagement by the current GM and set the team back for two years) doesn't have the primacy that 2016 does. and it's very relevant to keep those in mind, especially in a thread where we lament our fate because luke fuging wilson would have been an upgrade on offense. 

or you know nothing matters the second after it happens, the past doesn't exist, the future is a myth, we're all dying on the road to awe, what even is memory, or whatever phil 101 approach you're applying to this thread and your exchange with me

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

The 2010 draft does make me sad though. Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham were all ripe for the picking when we needing receiving threats. We tripled dipped at WR and got Gettis, LaFell and Armanti. The sad part is we also took two DEs after Armanti and we could have instead had Everson Griffen with the Armanti pick since he was the next DE taken. Hardy was awesome for a brief period but thinking that we could have easily had Demaryius Thomas, Griffen and gasp Antonio Brown if we just had traded that first for Brown the year before. I hate whining about the past but the 2010 draft really could have been our SB championship draft. 

Panthers didn't have a first in 2010, so Dez and beybey weren't options. 

Gronkowski was the kind of serious injury risk that only the Patriots really take, and Graham was a project tight end that fell into the perfect situation. It's impossible to predict how he would have developed, but the Panthers aren't going to draft a soft TE that doesn't block. 

The real bad mispick from the 2010 draft was not taking golden tate. Sanders and Brown are obviously better players but they both developed in the Steelers magic voodoo system that just shits out all pro receivers. Tate would have been perfect in Carolina if he and Smith could have kept from murdering each other. 

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The 2010 draft could have been our marquee draft and based on who we should have or could have had, it would be entirely relevant. Again, don’t want to dwell because it happened and there are no bizarro draft universes. I’ll wrap up with saying I’m not philosophizing but the Hunter Henry stuff from people who support Hurney is laughable when taken in the context of what should have been had Hurney not been willing to just throw away future picks on players that were terrible.

well the panthers didn't have a first in 2010 so saying that could have been a marquee moment is a little uh delusional. i mean yeah maybe the panthers could have nailed 3 all pros in 2-4th rounds but that doesn't seem very likely

and i fuging hate marty hurney don't include me with those morons

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Duh, of course we didn’t have a first. That’s the lynchpin. That was the domino that turned our could have been an all time great draft into a turd that cost us dearly. We drafted 3 WRs and 2 DEs even though we traded that first to get a DE. 

If Thomas (can’t imagine JR accepting Dez) then we don’t need LaFell or Edwards and Griffen could be our first DE. Then instead of a flyer on Hardy we take a flyer on Brown. It’s scary how easy it would have been for us to end up with Thomas, Griffen and Brown. It’s not even a stretch based on where they were picked in proximity to players we picked at the same positions. Again, it didn’t happen due to one horrific trade. 

If you really want to play hypotheticals, hurney would have used that first to draft Clausen.

he tried to trade their 2011 first to get back into the 2010 first to take him.

when playing the what if game it's only really useful to mention players the team is tied to. 

like yeah they could have hit all pros with every single pick if someone went back in time but that's not really useful. it's also an easy straw man for low info posters to knock down when they want to derail a discussion, like that other idiot i was responding to.

with 2010 specifically, everything after the 3rd round is just a crap shoot (with hurney everything after the first), and the only other player they were heavily tied to with their 2nd round pick was Tate. That was the better pick at the time, and it's clearly the better pick in hindsight.

Just like with 2016, the better pick at the time was hunter henry, and the better pick in hindsight is hunter henry.

It is okay to say that in a thread about the Panthers tight end situation. we're not going to run out of posts, there's no limit on how many we can make. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

The 2010 draft does make me sad though. Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham were all ripe for the picking when we needing receiving threats. We tripled dipped at WR and got Gettis, LaFell and Armanti. The sad part is we also took two DEs after Armanti and we could have instead had Everson Griffen with the Armanti pick since he was the next DE taken. Hardy was awesome for a brief period but thinking that we could have easily had Demaryius Thomas, Griffen and gasp Antonio Brown if we just had traded that first for Brown the year before. I hate whining about the past but the 2010 draft really could have been our SB championship draft. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 dude, no way we would have known that, outside of the Armanti Pick cuz that was stupid as fug, but the picks all looked good at the time. Nobody knows til after the fact.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

WT actual F? 

2.5 million? A good TE2 is not worth that much to us?

Why do huddlers think all FAs are possible just because of money? The Panthers are not a desirable team to play for...for any reason really. City isn’t attractive, mess of a FO, mediocre culture....I’d imagine most players simply don’t want to play here.

Albeit neither are the Lions but looks like it was his team growing up.

23 minutes ago, brandon_87 said:

poo that doesn't matter and isn't relevant anymore...

The same GM that made all those hideous decisions is drafting again so yes child it is relevant.

Also we were desperate for Luke Wilson because of the failures of previous drafts.

grab your crayons i will help you connect these dots

Archived