• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TE2 is getting worrisome

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I don't think the Panthers are excited about a 5th round rookie getting significant playing time this year. 

Agree.

TE has one of the longest development times. I don't want to be relying on a rookie. Especially as there are now question marks over Greg's health and level of commitment given his ESPN audition.

Draft a rookie to develop, but get a FA too please.

The panthers have too many needs to be addressed this year. It’s going to take 2-3 years to fix everything. A starting Safety, CB, and RB this year would be amazing but we’ll most likely get one or two decent starters in the draft. That leaves a few critical positions with huge holes. Not much they can do.

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I know some will probably want to argue, but safety, tight end and cornerback would not be problems today had Gman did what he should have done as opposed to making luxury the new standard. Landon Collins, Hunter Henry and Marshon Lattimore were all suspected prized players on the clock and filled our needs.

He fuged up! And I'm not gonna argue about it.

His initial approach of filling gaps  with savvy vets and experience while drafting talent started out great....them he stopped and left the roster in a lurch. 

This lack of concern is exactly why the Rivera-Hurney duo doesn't work. We ignore safety pretty much since Minter and settle for sub par players to fill bigger roles. 

We now have to find an immediate starter at FS, at least a #2 CB, future replacement for 75 year old Mike Adams, future replacement for 38 year old Peppers, will Shaq replace Davis?, LT to replace speed bump, a LG to replace Norwell, future C to replace oft injured Kalil, a power RB, TE #2 and future after Olsen, backup QB and maybe a WR. 

I'm sure "THE" Marty Hurney is up for the task...

I said it last year, people didn't give Ed Dickson enough credit and thought he'd be easy to replace. He was a good TE2 who could fill in at TE1 in a pinch. There are so many teams around the league that didn't even have a TE1 that was his caliber because it is one of the hardest positions to develop in the league.

A number of the leading offenses in the league pivot around a big receiving TE and how he can disrupt zone theories or destroy teams with undersized or timid safeties. A good TE can also shore up pass and run blocking if they can mesh well with the offensive line.

Those aren't easy things to do and they take time to develop since this is one area where I think the college game is behind the NFL one. Greg Olsen wasn't an overnight success and he'll probably be a second or third ballot HoFamer. These guys just don't grow on trees. It's easier to grab a RB or WR and see them produce overnight. 

And therein lies our difficulty. It's easy to pick out a good TE1 and try to poach them in free agency (if you have pretty deep pockets) -- you just go out there and compete with the intention of dropping a ton of cash. If you need a TE2, though, you really have a situation where you are competing against all of the other teams who are looking for a good-ish TE1 on a budget. The market gets a lot more crowded and it's harder to entice a player to be a second stringer for x dollars when another team is offering the same, but with starter status. 

Drafting and trading are really our safest bets. If Hurney can magically trade for someone that looks like Olsen did when he was with the Bears, then we're golden at both TE2 and heir apparent for TE1. If not, it comes to the draft and teaching someone up while hoping they aren't a bust. We've seen a lot of guys come in who looked the part, but just couldn't hack it. 

2 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

This lack of concern is exactly why the Rivera-Hurney duo doesn't work. We ignore safety pretty much since Minter and settle for sub par players to fill bigger roles. 

We now have to find an immediate starter at FS, at least a #2 CB, future replacement for 75 year old Mike Adams, future replacement for 38 year old Peppers, will Shaq replace Davis?, LT to replace speed bump, a LG to replace Norwell, future C to replace oft injured Kalil, a power RB, TE #2 and future after Olsen, backup QB and maybe a WR. 

I'm sure "THE" Marty Hurney is up for the task...

It became obvious that Gettleman wasn't up to the task. Not sure Hurney can, either, but we should know by say mid-September.

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I said it last year, people didn't give Ed Dickson enough credit and thought he'd be easy to replace. He was a good TE2 who could fill in at TE1 in a pinch. There are so many teams around the league that didn't even have a TE1 that was his caliber because it is one of the hardest positions to develop in the league.

A number of the leading offenses in the league pivot around a big receiving TE and how he can disrupt zone theories or destroy teams with undersized or timid safeties. A good TE can also shore up pass and run blocking if they can mesh well with the offensive line.

Those aren't easy things to do and they take time to develop since this is one area where I think the college game is behind the NFL one. Greg Olsen wasn't an overnight success and he'll probably be a second or third ballot HoFamer. These guys just don't grow on trees. It's easier to grab a RB or WR and see them produce overnight. 

And therein lies our difficulty. It's easy to pick out a good TE1 and try to poach them in free agency (if you have pretty deep pockets) -- you just go out there and compete with the intention of dropping a ton of cash. If you need a TE2, though, you really have a situation where you are competing against all of the other teams who are looking for a good-ish TE1 on a budget. The market gets a lot more crowded and it's harder to entice a player to be a second stringer for x dollars when another team is offering the same, but with starter status. 

Drafting and trading are really our safest bets. If Hurney can magically trade for someone that looks like Olsen did when he was with the Bears, then we're golden at both TE2 and heir apparent for TE1. If not, it comes to the draft and teaching someone up while hoping they aren't a bust. We've seen a lot of guys come in who looked the part, but just couldn't hack it. 

Ed's not TE1 quality by any stretch and I hesitate to say that he's a solid TE2 even. He did well last year because defenses practically ignored him and he got a lot of open looks that Greg could only dream of. It was a crapshoot when he had any kind of coverage on him.

13 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Ed's not TE1 quality by any stretch and I hesitate to say that he's a solid TE2 even. He did well last year because defenses practically ignored him and he got a lot of open looks that Greg could only dream of. It was a crapshoot when he had any kind of coverage on him.

Yeah and he couldn't catch when he did have an opportunity except for Lions game.

Archived