• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go ahead and mark Jarius Wright as a roster lock..

Jeremy Igo

I like how he comes back for the ball when his QB is in trouble .. I haven't seen that from a Panthers Wr's in years..

I also like how he knows where the 1st down markers are.. His hands are good so he doesn't worry about making the catch and falling down.. He knows He's making the catch and already looking for YAC.. He also isn't shy about going over the middle.. 

He looks like a better version of Cotch.. I could actually see them doing that play action deep pass to Wright and he having the speed to be open unlike Cotch..lol

14 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Ur funny putting Ebron with them. His stats are really pretty good if u compare him to other te's.

Stats lol, bless your heart.

Ebron is a terrible football player.

13 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

I hope he doesn’t take away snaps from Byrd and Samuel. He’s a jag to the fully extent 

Why?  Byrd and Samuel aren't 3rd down receivers.  Smith will be the one eating up their snaps.

15 hours ago, top dawg said:

You do realize that Samuel was drafted to play in the slot, right? Wright is more of insurance for him, and just solid depth for the corps in general.

You do realize that Wright is our second best receiver, right?  He's also a 3rd down converting machine, which is something that Cam desperately needs.  This isn't depth, which is obvious to anyone after seeing his contract.

5 minutes ago, Riv said:

You do realize that Wright is our second best receiver, right?  He's also a 3rd down converting machine, which is something that Cam desperately needs.  This isn't depth, which is obvious to anyone after seeing his contract.

2nd best wr, dude you need to quit. Lmao there is no way we just got a little upgrade over Shepherd and that's not saying much.

4 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

2nd best wr, dude you need to quit. Lmao there is no way we just got a little upgrade over Shepherd and that's not saying much.

I'd wager that he has the best hands and runs the best routes of any receiver we have on the roster.  Funch is just bigger.  Torrey Smith is awful.  Byrd and Samuel are unknowns still.

6 minutes ago, Riv said:

If he is our second best receiver (which I don't believe that he is), then we're screwed. Secondly, his contract is not indicative of a veteran starter's contract during this decade, much less this offseason. It is more a reflection of a team needing a receiver because of the present, somewhat tenuous, state of its wide receiving corps relative to the bottom of the barrel of free agency and availability of pro-ready viable playmaking receivers during the draft. Wright has been a serviceable backup for a half dozen years in the league, and sure he has completed some third downs, but he has been used rather scantly, and has basically fallen off a cliff for the past two seasons. If Samuel's health wasn't in question, I doubt that we would have even signed him. Let's not fool ourselves. There's absolutely no reason for the Huddle to go down the Brown-Shepard boulevard this year. Wright has had plenty of years to show the NFL what he is. 

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If he is our second best receiver (which I don't believe that he is), then we're screwed. Secondly, his contract is not indicative of a veteran starter's contract during this decade, much less this offseason. It is more a reflection of a team needing a receiver because of the present, somewhat tenuous, state of its wide receiving corps relative to the bottom of the barrel of free agency and availability of pro-ready viable playmaking receivers during the draft. Wright has been a serviceable backup for a half dozen years in the league, and sure he has completed some third downs, but he has been used rather scantly, and has basically fallen off a cliff for the past two seasons. If Samuel's health wasn't in question, I doubt that we would have even signed him. Let's not fool ourselves. There's absolutely no reason for the Huddle to go down the Brown-Shepard boulevard this year. Wright has had plenty of years to show the NFL what he is. 

He is Jericho Cotchery 2.0.  I really don't understand why people don't get this....  Stop paying attention to stats and open your F eyes.  You really think Samuel is going to be our 3rd down guy?  A dude who didn't even really play receiver in college and will have missed roughly half of his development time since he's been a Panther?  He has to get healthy before he can even THINK about getting better.  Samuel was a project and about as raw as you can be as a college player, which is not an optimal pick in the 2nd round.

I didn't say that his contract matches a vet min, but we've invested cap space that will be dead if we cut him.  Reading between the lines that means we expect him to contribute or we wouldn't have wasted that money.  Smith on the other hand can be cut today with no penalty. 

Does that help?

6 minutes ago, Riv said:

He is Jericho Cotchery 2.0.  I really don't understand why people don't get this....  Stop paying attention to stats and open your F eyes.  You really think Samuel is going to be our 3rd down guy?  A dude who didn't even really play receiver in college and will have missed roughly half of his development time since he's been a Panther?  He has to get healthy before he can even THINK about getting better.  Samuel was a project and about as raw as you can be as a college player, which is not an optimal pick in the 2nd round.

I didn't say that his contract matches a vet min, but we've invested cap space that will be dead if we cut him.  Reading between the lines that means we expect him to contribute or we wouldn't have wasted that money.  Smith on the other hand can be cut today with no penalty. 

Does that help?

I am well aware that he will e on our roster for a year. That still doesn't indicate anything but depth.

You can discount stats all you like, but I'm not. Now you can believe what you like. I've been down this road before with people not wanting to listen. I will repeat: If Wright is our second best receiver, then we are in trouble. He's an upgrade right now, but that's due to the present state of our receiving corps. 

As to Torrey Smith, you can say what you want, but at least he has two Super Bowl rings which he played an integral part in obtaining when it came down to it, plus his production has been markedly more than Wright's in general. Torrey Smith has been and still is a better receiver. You think we traded for him just to cut him. Come on, dude. He was brought here for his veteran experience and leadership. He was brought here to help take the roof off defenses. Wright was brought here to bolster our receiving corps for a year and act as Samuel insurance.

39 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I am well aware that he will e on our roster for a year. That still doesn't indicate anything but depth.

You can discount stats all you like, but I'm not. Now you can believe what you like. I've been down this road before with people not wanting to listen. I will repeat: If Wright is our second best receiver, then we are in trouble. He's an upgrade right now, but that's due to the present state of our receiving corps. 

As to Torrey Smith, you can say what you want, but at least he has two Super Bowl rings which he played an integral part in obtaining when it came down to it, plus his production has been markedly more than Wright's in general. Torrey Smith has been and still is a better receiver. You think we traded for him just to cut him. Come on, dude. He was brought here for his veteran experience and leadership. He was brought here to help take the roof off defenses. Wright was brought here to bolster our receiving corps for a year and act as Samuel insurance.

If you think Torrey Smith is a better receiver than Jarius Wright, then I really don't think there's any point in further discussion.  Torrey Smith is a guy who runs fast.  Jarius Wright can run routes, catch... you know... do receiver things.

30 minutes ago, Riv said:

If you think Torrey Smith is a better receiver than Jarius Wright, then I really don't think there's any point in further discussion.  Torrey Smith is a guy who runs fast.  Jarius Wright can run routes, catch... you know... do receiver things.

Yeah maybe he does that if he gets on the field. I think I seen he had 18 catches last year?

Archived