• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicting how the Panthers fix the mess in the secondary

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Sign Ron Parker and a cheap CB like Bene. Draft one in the 3rd round to compete for the starting job with Seymour and Bene (with that competition they should win easily) draft a young safety in the first or second and you have Parker and early round rookie with Adams as depth to help cover up the cornerback weaknesses. Bradberry holds down one spot with Elder or Captain in the nickel, plus much better safety play. The CB2 will either be Seymour, 3rd round rookie or cheap veteran but have much better safeties to help. This leaves the other 1st or 2nd round and the other 3rd to help o-line and rb issue.

This is close to what I'm expecting.

If Josh Jackson is there at 24, take him. I honestly thought we had very little chance at him but based on how raw he looked at the combine in the on field drills I actually think it might be possible. Teams that want to run a lot of man are probably going to be scared off of him in the 1st but his instincts, ball skills, and measurables fit us perfectly if we're going to go back to more of a cover 3 heavy scheme.

I would love to move up and alteast fix one safety with a guy like James, but that's likely not possible now....

Honestly I would take some cheap average starter from round 3 or 5. Thinking if Terrell Edmunds from VT dropped to our 1st pick in 3rd, I would be quite happy. Really under the radar prospect at S due to the stacked class and his brother being the bigger prospect. 

Another interesting guy is Tre Flowers of Oklahoma State. Good 3 years of tape and flashed athleticism at the combine. Likely 3rd or 5th if we want him. 

Really deep S class so lots of interesting guys with the ability to start day 1.

Other S is Adams at this point. And hope Jones doesn't need to see the field.....

At CB, Breeland being injured sucks. That really gave us a solid start at CB. now it's either corn, Seymour or Capt that has to step up. Not great..... Personally I'm not sold on the depth of this CB class past the 1st so unless you hitch you wagon to a 1st round CB, comb the depths for a 1 year guy. But if not....

In the draft I like Jaire Jackson. health red flags in 2017 with the inability to stay on the field but a game changer when healthy. Would have to take in 1st, no way he falls to us in 2nd. Think he is worth our 1st by a good margin and honestly doubt he is there.

Another is Isaiah Oliver in the #2nd. Think he has the makeup to be really good, but the tape isn't as good as what everyone saw at the combine. Also could crack the lineup past the 2 CU guys drafted last year. Could be pressed into service this year, but Bradberry levels of up and down games. He's really athletic and oddles of potential. 

Also love Gregg Stroman, but I feel he isn't up to being a slot guy at all and with the bigger WR in the division, people will post him up. The production the last 2 years was great, but unless he is a really late bloomer, he isn't going to get strong enough to be reliable in run support or against stronger and tall WR. Evans and Julio would eat him alive on jump balls all day long. Damn good ballkawk and plays balls in front of him well as he has elite ability to stop and close on a route. Likely 4th or 5th as he just isn't going to get enough strength to hold up to postups from big WR or play slot where he would have to be a reliable run stopper.

On 3/18/2018 at 9:08 AM, top dawg said:

That wouldn't be like going in the dumpster to find something you've mistakenly thrown away,  that would be like straight digging in the trash. 

Dude wasn't good enough to be pining over.  Just like his play appeared from series to series or maybe even snap to snap,  it would be like taking one step forward and two steps back, then two steps forward and one step back,  then back to one step forward and two steps back. 

Sounds like Hurney.

Archived