• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicting how the Panthers fix the mess in the secondary

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I find that very hard to believe. I don't think Dave Gettleman ever gave a single flying fug about being "that guy".

Those were his own words.

I think what happened here probably changed his mind on that, though. First thing he did after he took the job in New York was fire somebody.

Best bet is to grab the best available safeties remaining, or guard and grab the best corner at 24, barring someone slipping to us that shouldn’t be there. This secondary has got to get on track if a Super Bowl Is what we wish to accomplish, missed out big passing on lattimore last year I think first two picks should go towards the secondary and our two 3rds go towards offense

Breeland’s failed physical is a real setback to our offseason plans, but only momentarily.

Hurney has to weigh his options here:

1) Sign a replacement as soon as possible. Unfortunately, pickings are slim, only a few quality #2 CB's remain on the open market. EJ Gaines (visited Arizona Saturday) and Delvin Breaux (visited Denver Thursday, New England Friday) or possibly Dominique Rodgers Cromartie (visited Washington Tuesday)

2) Throw numbers at the CB position and have competition for the corner spot opposite Bradberry. We bring back LaDarius Gunter and sign someone young and cheap like 49ers Dontae Johnson or Phillip Gaines form Kansas City.  

3) Simply shift our focus from singing #2 CB to signing a quality safety like Morgan Burnett, Eric Reid or Kenny Vaccaro. HOWEVER, we would essentially be forced to draft a CB with one of our 1st 2 picks and possibly pass on a better player due to having to fill an immediate need. This is what happened to Gettleman when he pulled the franchise tag from Josh Norman in 2016. DG was forced to draft 3 CB’s that year because we had no corners on our roster.

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There are some decent options on the market at safety. Sign one.

Honestly, I think we're probably going to be relying on finding a CB early in the draft. Not sure there's an answer for a starter still out there.

Yeah. Just sign a safety and look for CB help in the draft. Pray that corn can give us some depth

Sign Ron Parker and a cheap CB like Bene. Draft one in the 3rd round to compete for the starting job with Seymour and Bene (with that competition they should win easily) draft a young safety in the first or second and you have Parker and early round rookie with Adams as depth to help cover up the cornerback weaknesses. Bradberry holds down one spot with Elder or Captain in the nickel, plus much better safety play. The CB2 will either be Seymour, 3rd round rookie or cheap veteran but have much better safeties to help. This leaves the other 1st or 2nd round and the other 3rd to help o-line and rb issue.

I don't know why we're not targeting EJ Gaines.  He was in McD's system, and is getting brought in by Wilks in AZ.  Seems like he should be targeted by us.  

The unsavory ideas:

Tramon Williams - Played great last season, is 35 y/o but we just need a solid starter for 2018 even if it's a stop gap.

Darqueze Dennard - Has been pretty meh but in a contract year last year was really solid for Cincinatti.  Definitely better than Seymour/Worley.

The why nots: Davon House & Corey Graham - Both guys could start here

12 minutes ago, saX man said:

I don't know why we're not targeting EJ Gaines.  He was in McD's system, and is getting brought in by Wilks in AZ.  Seems like he should be targeted by us.  

The unsavory ideas:

Tramon Williams - Played great last season, is 35 y/o but we just need a solid starter for 2018 even if it's a stop gap.

Darqueze Dennard - Has been pretty meh but in a contract year last year was really solid for Cincinatti.  Definitely better than Seymour/Worley.

The why nots: Davon House & Corey Graham - Both guys could start here

Maybe we are, maybe we have him in the team facility today. But with our poor team insiders (Person, Rodrigue) we wouldn't know because they suck.

Archived