• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicting how the Panthers fix the mess in the secondary

Jeremy Igo

A FA safety like Ron Parker isn't going to break the bank.  Sign him.

A leftover FA CB won't command more than a few million, if that.  Sign one. 

That's 5 million or so, max, to secure a somewhat capable secondary, before drafting anyone.  Sets up for BPA in the secondary, so we're not reaching for a CB or a S, and can grab one of if not both.

I really don’t believe we are as bad off as everyone thinks. The coaching staff was really high on corn elder before he went on IR and Captain can cover the slot and outside if needed. He complained about playing time last year and is solid when he gets more than 30 percent of the snaps. Upgrading from Worley is not going to be difficult and we have good depth. Safety is an absolute must upgrade because we have Zero options other than a guy that is a few years away from being 40

2 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Yep that's what I've been telling people reminds me of 2016. Gettleman was an ass and let's Norman walk then we get stuck with rookies to get torched every week.

The least we could do is look for an above average corner that's still under rookie deal and trade for him. I mean ... I love that we did that for Torry Smith, wish we could get a corner or safety like that as well

6 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I really don’t believe we are as bad off as everyone thinks. The coaching staff was really high on corn elder before he went on IR and Captain can cover the slot and outside if needed. He complained about playing time last year and is solid when he gets more than 30 percent of the snaps. Upgrading from Worley is not going to be difficult and we have good depth. Safety is an absolute must upgrade because we have Zero options other than a guy that is a few years away from being 40

We're pretty bad off. Probably not any worse off than we were last year, but honestly we may have had the worst secondary in the NFL last year. I don't think Seymour is any worse than Worley but I don't think he's any better either. If we thought Corn was the answer we wouldn't have been trying to sign Breeland. Right now, Colin Jones would probably be our starting FS. Honestly, I'd probably rather have him out there than the version of Coleman was saw last year, but still, if your starting FS is Colin Jones you have a big problem.

We have drafted 4 corners and only 2 were taken in the first 3 rounds. Neither were first rounders and only one is still on the team. 

The other two were late rounders. One is a total question mark who has not taken a snap in the nfl and the other I’m not even sure if they are on the practice squad anymore.

Panthers 100% need to draft a corner back early and maybe look into who the hell is scouting defensive backs for us.

5 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

We have drafted 4 corners and only 2 were taken in the first 3 rounds. Neither were first rounders and only one is still on the team. 

The other two were late rounders. One is a total question mark who has not taken a snap in the nfl and the other I’m not even sure if they are on the practice squad anymore.

Panthers 100% need to draft a corner back early and maybe look into who the hell is scouting defensive backs for us.

I'm beginning to think the scouting department might be a big part the Panthers drafting woes.  If I'm not mistaken didn't Dave kept the same scouting guys that Marty had already in place?  I know our wr scouts suck at identifying talent.

The scouting department certainly seems to be questionable, but in their defense they have no real power or control. They provide their reports and the GM makes the decisions. They can provide the best scouting reports the world has ever seen and they're worthless if their advice isn't taken.

Most of the time the staff is 'high on so and so player',  he turns out to be a jag. How about getting someone who has actually shown he can play instead of having their tit in a ringer come mid season and the guy doesn't pan out.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The scouting department certainly seems to be questionable, but in their defense they have no real power or control. They provide their reports and the GM makes the decisions. They can provide the best scouting reports the world has ever seen and they're worthless if their advice isn't taken.

True. Unless you're in the war room you really don't know who makes the decision on which guy to take.  The GM has the final say so  it's all on him unless he's a puppet to the coach or owner so it's hard to say where the real problem lies.

Let's hope the next owner finds a crew that can build a championship team, Lord knows the last owner couldn't do it.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The flipside of that if the scouting department is bad at player evaluation, then the GM is making decisions based on faulty information. No one man can scout every player on their own while also doing all the other work that being a GM entails.

But again, part of the GMs job is to evaluate the performance of the scouts. If they're bad, let them go. If you realize they're bad and you don't let them go, you have no one to blame but yourself..

To be real here, Marty Hurney doesn't have the experience to know who's good at scouting and who isn't. Dave Gettleman did, but he didn't want to fire front office people because he didn't want to be "that guy". That's a lousy reason.

I honestly won't be surprised if a new owner overhauls the entire scouting operation.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be real here, Marty Hurney doesn't have the experience to know who's good at scouting and who isn't. Dave Gettleman did, but he didn't want to fire front office people because he didn't want to be "that guy". That's a lousy reason.

I find that very hard to believe. I don't think Dave Gettleman ever gave a single flying fug about being "that guy".

Archived