• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicting how the Panthers fix the mess in the secondary

Jeremy Igo

There are some decent stopgap (if not longer) options still available. 

At Safety,  there is Eric Reid,  Tyvon Branch, Morgan Burnette, and Ron Parker. 

At corner,  there is E.J. Gaines, DRC, and health risk Davon House.  Byron Maxwell is still available, though in talk with the 'Hawks.  (Scot advised below that Grimes is gone)

After talking with my friend I have the distinct feeling we might target CB round one and three. Depending upon if we can sign a G in FA. A replacement TE for Olsen it seems high on the list too. Pure speculation but foot injuries are never good for pass catchers and he might retire next year. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I predict it won't be fixed this season.  It will be a patchwork of castoffs and rookies with no chemistry between them.  Prepare to watch the rest of the NFCS carve up that secondary all season.  It will be ugly.

But I suppose Hurney can get lucky and find 4 or 5 starters in the draft.  

He can find 3 IF he drafts a S, G, and hope that a CB falls to him.  However, we need a #1  CB so that Bradberry can move to #2---upgrade 2 spots with one move.

Let's say we draft a top CB in round 1---Alexander, Oliver (I am high on him), or Hughes.  He would be our best CB.

In the second round, we would have to go Guard.  Price, Daniels, or Ragnow are fairly safe interior lineman that can play C--when Kalil retires.

That leaves the 3rd round for a S.  Not many are starting material, but beside veteran Adams a rookie is not a bad thing.  Bates (my favorite in the third), Elliot,  Whitehead, Allen , Neal, Blanding are some decent options.  The problem? Demetrius Cox is the depth.

So I mocked:

1. Oliver, CB Colorado. Smooth CB with the ability to lock up on a #1 WR if needed. huge ceiling.

2. Ragnow, G/C Arkansas  (Price was gone) Ragnow has a rep for being a leader-something Kalil has been.  I say play him at LG and move to C in  2019,  Nice work ethic.

3. Bates, FS Wake Forest.  a ball hawk with good speed, intelligence and agility ---see combine results. Not Ready to start but may have to, but he would be better than Coleman if his role is limited by blitzing less and with a solid #1 CB.  I would consider trading up for Justin Reid with both 3rd round picks if he falls  to late  second round.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jessie-bates?id=2560130

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He can find 3 IF he drafts a S, G, and hope that a CB falls to him.  However, we need a #1  CB so that Bradberry can move to #2---upgrade 2 spots with one move.

Let's say we draft a top CB in round 1---Alexander, Oliver (I am high on him), or Hughes.  He would be our best CB.

In the second round, we would have to go Guard.  Price, Daniels, or Ragnow are fairly safe interior lineman that can play C--when Kalil retires.

That leaves the 3rd round for a S.  Not many are starting material, but beside veteran Adams a rookie is not a bad thing.  Bates (my favorite in the third), Elliot,  Whitehead, Allen , Neal, Blanding are some decent options.  The problem? Demetrius Cox is the depth.

So I mocked:

1. Oliver, CB Colorado. Smooth CB with the ability to lock up on a #1 WR if needed. huge ceiling.

2. Ragnow, G/C Arkansas  (Price was gone) Ragnow has a rep for being a leader-something Kalil has been.  I say play him at LG and move to C in  2019,  Nice work ethic.

3. Bates, FS Wake Forest.  a ball hawk with good speed, intelligence and agility ---see combine results. Not Ready to start but may have to, but he would be better than Coleman if his role is limited by blitzing less and with a solid #1 CB.  I would consider trading up for Justin Reid with both 3rd round picks if he falls  to late  second round.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jessie-bates?id=2560130

That's a lot of "IF's" to be expecting to fall into place.  Counting on rookies to contribute right away to have a successful season hasn't been a winning strategy if history is any indication. 

The Saints got extremely lucky last year with their draft.  That doesn't happen very often.  Counting in Hurney to have such success is an exercise in futility if you ask me.  But stranger things have happened.

I think we draft one, but it will be in the later rounds (5th, or 6th) to develop behind our free agent or traded veteran. We will sign a safety and draft one early. Even as we sit right now, Seymour is no worse that Worley and will have a full offseason with our system/players and Bradberry has another year under his belt. Not to mention Elder coming back, we are no worse than last year at CB. The problem is we need to be way better than we were at this position. Did Elder play any outside CB in college? He could even compete for Worley’s spot with Seymour.

1 hour ago, steven8989 said:

Yep that's what I've been telling people reminds me of 2016. Gettleman was an ass and let's Norman walk then we get stuck with rookies to get torched every week.

So are we seriously comparing Worley to Norman now? Worley couldn’t cover a cold,.... 

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I am probably one of the minority here, but I wish we had Worley back right now.

You are lol pick a week I'll come back with terrible coverage by Worley five different times in one game it was a easy first down any play with him out there 20 yards off his man.

55 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Worley was probably getting cut, he was terrible last year for the most part. Way out of position most of the time.

Wayyyyyy outta position every play he lined up like a free safety every play I use to be so confused.

Sadly, there are too many holes to fill this season with the draft and FA. We have drafted a lot of CB lately, but that doesn't mean they are any good. Draft CB, S, G, TE and RB. FA get a S and G. If we can get a decent CB, sign them as well. This is 100% on Gettleman for leaving an aging roster with many holes. He did nothing but draft Short and fix the cap. He was an utter failure.

Archived