• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicting how the Panthers fix the mess in the secondary

Jeremy Igo

CB is deep in elite talent in the draft. Safety not so much. 

I think we draft CB round one (Ward, Jackson, Alexander, Hughes) or round two (e.g. Oliver, Davis) and sign a safety in FA (cause they are cheaper than CB).

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  Sure,  we can go that route of a Saints throwaway.  But we may also have to draft one. Delvin Breaux's ceiling is higher than Worley's for sure,  but can he stay healthy? I know Hurney doesn't want to do it,  but he may have to give up one of those draft picks to bring Darby on board.

There will likely be some more cuts anyway. 

Most of the better Safeties in FA are still unsigned, so I expect to see us add one of them in the next couple of weeks.  I also expect another CB who we can at least roll the dice with.  What I really don't want to see happen is Hurney going into the draft targeting a specific position.

15 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

I am probably one of the minority here, but I wish we had Worley back right now.

That wouldn't be like going in the dumpster to find something you've mistakenly thrown away,  that would be like straight digging in the trash. 

Dude wasn't good enough to be pining over.  Just like his play appeared from series to series or maybe even snap to snap,  it would be like taking one step forward and two steps back, then two steps forward and one step back,  then back to one step forward and two steps back. 

I predict it won't be fixed this season.  It will be a patchwork of castoffs and rookies with no chemistry between them.  Prepare to watch the rest of the NFCS carve up that secondary all season.  It will be ugly.

But I suppose Hurney can get lucky and find 4 or 5 starters in the draft.  

9 minutes ago, brandon_87 said:

Just looking like a bunch of rookies will be fighting over who get torched next by Julio 

Yep that's what I've been telling people reminds me of 2016. Gettleman was an ass and let's Norman walk then we get stuck with rookies to get torched every week.

The point that the Panthers have drafted 4 CBs is valid, but only 1 on the roster has played. We should expect 2 starters from this draft. We need 3 starters, and I don;'t think we will have 2 rookies in the defensive backfield.  That means we are drafting a G in the first or second round.  We are signing a CB or S this week- preferably a CB, because Adams could help bring a young S along.  We are doing the same thing at G, with Ryan Kalil at C beside the rookie.

II still see the Panthers drafting a rookie CB and a SS this year.  Munnerlyn is not trending upward and Seymour (still a young player) is not much more than depth. Elder is totally unproven.

I like the FS crop in the draft, and I like the Guards.  However if you are looking for starters, it is a bad idea to dip into the third round.    This draft is fairly deep at CB, so we could find a decent CB in the third round to compete with a veteran. 

45 minutes ago, Ratzer said:

CB is deep in elite talent in the draft. Safety not so much. 

I think we draft CB round one (Ward, Jackson, Alexander, Hughes) or round two (e.g. Oliver, Davis) and sign a safety in FA (cause they are cheaper than CB).

I think we get one if we dont reach.  Would much rather find a potential safety if the chips fall right.  I think a CB in FA is still not a bad move. 

Archived