• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, mjligon said:

I think he’s still an important piece of our rotation. He can’t help where he was drafted.

There is a very slim chance Rivera would buy in to trading him. He loves a fresh rotation.

Yea exactly it's a bad idea to trade him and we won't anyway. He'll be cheap upon refresh too since he won't have starter numbers.

Someone was saying we shouldn't have extended KK....dur wat? that's literally insane. He's the best DL we've had since Peppers and you cannot overvalue interior rush like that....If someone said we'd get a 6 sack avg per year DT for a 2nd round pick....shhhhiiiittttt....cannot be overstated.

Why in the world would we trade Butler? 

A talented DT who is playing in rotation behind one of the leagues best? Who is only going to be starting year 3 this year? Who we are still paying very little too in comparison to his production/potential? Who are we going to get, a back up DT for more money who will produce the same as Butler playing behind Short? A pick that would be a crap shoot, if the Panthers are LUCKY they would get a 3rd. Is that really worth downgrading the team for at least the next year for ( Assuming the pick pans out and the player becomes a starter ) Do we want to be thin at DT? Because this is exactly how you go about having no pass rush in the 4th quarter and towards the end of the season. 

I am asking a lot of questions because this doesn't make sense is any real world. I know its a cliche but this isn't Madden.....

Anyways I think its year 3 for Butler, he is going to prove everyone here wrong. Its his breakout year.

42 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If you are hell bent on trading one then trade KK.  He would bring more in a trade and you have a younger cheaper replacement already.  You accomplish two things by trading KK, you clear his cap charge and have a younger, although less experienced replacement with minimal inital drop off.

You're losing me fast.

Minimal dropoff?

You people seriously have no idear what a 6 sack DT means to a line....wtf has Butler shown that he can come in and replace some KK.....crazy mudderfukkas up in here. Other than Peppers last year we've had joe smoes at DE and a crippled CJ....why do you figure our DL has even been serviceable.

Starts with a Kawan and ends in a Short.

Yall think teams are game planning Mario Addison?

16 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

If you dont net at least a third, I think a trade would be a huge waste. Even a third would be disappointing right now. 

Honestly I'd trade him for a 3rd and be happy to get it. Anything less though and I'd probably rather keep him as young, quality, cheap depth. Young, quality, cheap is a nice trifecta.

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Don't draft for need.

I think need shoild absolutely be factored into a team's draft board. Yeah, player A may technically be the BPA but player A plays at a position of great depth and player B is the #2 BPA and he plays at a position of great need. Take player B. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think need shoild absolutely be factored into a team's draft board. Yeah, player A may technically be the BPA but player A plays at a position of great depth and player B is the #2 BPA and he plays at a position of great need. Take player B. 

I agree. 

There is always a formula. 

But ya never pass over a quality player at a position that is vital, and never reach to fill a need. 

even if daeshon hall turns into another greg hardy (on the field i mean) we're still looking at a major overhaul of our d-line as soon as next offseason with peppers being a thousand years old and addison and short being north of 30 by then.  if you dump butler now you're just making it harder on yourself.  as things stand now hurney needs to find two starting DEs and at least one other rotational guy.  that's not easy or cheap to do in FA and it's even less easy to accomplish in one or two drafts.

should of never drafted him.   Nothing against him though...but he was destined to by a backup because of KK. 

I’d say keep him though.  He is on a rookie deal and relatively cheap.  I don’t think he would command great value in a trade and the team getting him would win on the deal

Don't really see the upside of trading a young cheap guy who is, at a minimum, a solid rotational player for a late, or even mid, round pick.  I mean if we could flip him for something significant then sure but that's not happening. 

what kind of value would you get for butler though? 

if anything, I would trade KK and his massive contract. Not only is he one of the biggest names in football, you would free up $17M in CAP space while getting some serious talent in return, and in all honesty, the duo of Butler and Poe doesn't sound all that bad. We won't be as dominant in the middle, but we can sure as hell fill some huge glaring needs that we would be forced to address in the draft instead which could be years before that talent is even recognized on the football field. just a thought. 

Archived